High School Student Text book question

In summary, the group discusses various textbook options for learning mathematics and recommends books such as "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang, "How to Prove it - A Structured Approach" by Daniel Velleman, and "A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang. The importance of providing specific information when asking for textbook recommendations is also emphasized.
Destac
Anyone know of a good textbook that i can get off of amazon. I just want a good book to steer me in a good direction. Because i just study this a lot in my spare time and i don't have a decent source of information.

Any textbook will do but i need something. The difficulty of the book does not matter to me for even if i don't know or don't understand something i can look it up. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could have asked for the information without being a dick about it.

micromass, you guy :3

to OP, try How to Prove it - A Structured Approach. If you plan on studying maths it'll give you the jist of how proofs go in maths and how to understand them.

Daverz said:

That's no way to speak to a Mentor of PF. Please do note that it's the OP's duty to provide the relevant info pertaining to a question, for receiving optimal advice on it. We're not superhumans to mind-read things. Besides, I don't see you contributing in any way.

To the OP: "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang is a brilliant book for learning/reviewing all major topics prior to Calculus.

Daverz said:

I realize that. And I apologize to the OP if he was offended in any way, that was not my intention. But in any case, he learned now that it is important to give all the information if you want a good answer to your post.

He/she did also say that the book's difficulty did not matter for if they did not know something, they could look it up.

jobsism said:
To the OP: "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang is a brilliant book for learning/reviewing all major topics prior to Calculus.
I hijack this post with a question if it's ok! Does Langs' book include some kind of introduction to derivatives and limits?

Dowland said:
I hijack this post with a question if it's ok! Does Langs' book include some kind of introduction to derivatives and limits?

I think Lang's A First Course in Calculus would be better suited for this job

PhizKid said:
I think Lang's A First Course in Calculus would be better suited for this job
Ok, thanks! I assume it's accesible for a person that has worked through the relevant topics in "Basic Mathematics" by the same author? I've namely ordered the latter to learn the mathematics covered in an ordinary high school curriculum.

Dowland said:
Ok, thanks! I assume it's accesible for a person that has worked through the relevant topics in "Basic Mathematics" by the same author? I've namely ordered the latter to learn the mathematics covered in an ordinary high school curriculum.

Yes, Basic Mathematics will teach you everything you need to know to be prepared for a Calculus course.

Destac said:
Anyone know of a good textbook that i can get off of amazon. I just want a good book to steer me in a good direction. Because i just study this a lot in my spare time and i don't have a decent source of information.

Any textbook will do but i need something. The difficulty of the book does not matter to me for even if i don't know or don't understand something i can look it up. Thank you for any help you can give me.

I actually just started this other thread about a self-teaching calculus book that I picked up that is great! It's called Quick Calculus 2nd Edition: A Self-Teaching Guide by Daniel Kleppner and Norman Ramsey. I'm in high school as well, and I HIGHLY recommend it!

Destac said:
The difficulty of the book does not matter to me for even if i don't know or don't understand something i can look it up.

micromass said:
Since you didn't mention any specific information and difficulty, I guess that any textbook will do. Well this is a good one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/012185860X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

ROFL!

The OP really needs to give more information about what they are looking for. There are just too many ways to answer this question, even if we want to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of high school student textbook questions?

The purpose of high school student textbook questions is to reinforce the learning and understanding of the material presented in the textbook. These questions are designed to test the students' knowledge and comprehension of the subject matter and help them practice applying the concepts they have learned.

2. How are high school student textbook questions different from regular textbook questions?

High school student textbook questions are specifically tailored to the level and abilities of high school students. They often include more visual aids and real-life examples to make the material more relatable and engaging for students. They also tend to cover a broader range of topics and require more critical thinking and analytical skills.

3. Are high school student textbook questions important for academic success?

Yes, high school student textbook questions are crucial for academic success as they help students develop a deeper understanding of the material and improve their critical thinking skills. By practicing these questions, students can identify areas where they need to improve and focus their study efforts accordingly.

4. How should high school students approach textbook questions?

High school students should approach textbook questions by carefully reading and understanding the material first. They should then try to answer the questions on their own before referring back to the textbook for clarification. It is essential to take the time to think critically and analyze the information presented in the textbook questions.

5. Can high school student textbook questions be used as study aids?

Yes, high school student textbook questions can be used as study aids. By practicing these questions, students can reinforce their understanding of the material and identify any areas they need to review. They can also be used as a self-assessment tool to gauge their understanding and track their progress over time.