Evaluating Higher Order Poles: A Simple Download

In summary, the integral of a function with a simple pole at x=a is equal to 2pi*i*residue at x=a, where the residue is found by taking the limit of the function times (x-a)^n where n is the order of the pole and then differentiating n-1 times. This can be used to evaluate the integral of a function with a simple pole, such as (1+x^2)/(1+x^4), by finding its residue and multiplying it by 2pi*i. This method can be used for higher order poles as well, by dividing the function into a Laurent series and finding the residue at x=a.
Living_Dog
I need to know how to evaluate higher order poles.

I have the answer for the integral of this function

[tex]\frac{(1 + x^2)}{(1 + x^4)}[\tex]

from integrals.wolfram.com, but think it can be done using residues. I believe it involves taking a derivative and then multiplying by the pole? Can someone give me the simple download on what the math technique is... without all the high-dimensional mathematical proof... if you don't mind. :confused:

Thankis in advance!
-LD

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait.. What is the region of integration..
Your tex did not come out...

End tex with [/ tex], not [\tex] (and remove the space).

Living Dog, I assume this is over a closed path but it is crucial that we know what poles are contained inside the path.

I don't see why you are asking about "higher order" poles. x4+ 1 factors as (x+1)(x-1)(x+i)(x-i) and has each of 1, -1, i, and -i as a simple pole. Saying that a function has a simple pole at x= a means that it can be written F(x)= f(x)+ A/(x-a) where f(x) is analytic at x= a. The integral of an analytic function around any close curve is 0 so the integral of F(x) around any closed curve containing a (and no other poles) is equal to the integral of A/(x-a). Of course, that would be the same for any closed path containing a. In particular, we can take a circular path with center a and radius R. On that curve, [itex]x= a+ Re^{i\theta}[/itex] so [itex](x- a)^{-1}= R^{-1}e^{-i\theta}[/itex] and [itex]dx= iRe^{i\theta}d\theta[/itex]. That is:
[tex]\int A/(x-a)dx= i\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta= 2\pi iA[/tex]
Since F(x)= f(x)+ A/(x-a), F(x)(x-a)= f(x)(x-a)+ A. f(x) is analytic so its limit as x-> a is 0 and we have A= lim(x->a)F(x)(x-a).

If F does have a higher order pole, say of order n, then it can be written as a "Laurent" series- a series involving fractional powers to power n:
[tex]F(x)= f(x)+ A/(x-a)+ B/(x-a)^2+\cdot\cdot\cdot+ Z/(x-a)^n[/tex]
But it is still true that the integral, around any closed path containing a as its only pole, of every term except A(x-a) is 0 and the integral of A/(x-a) is [itex]2\pi i A[/itex]. To find A multiply by (x-a)n:
[tex]F(x)(x-a)^n= f(x)(x-a)^n+ A(x-a)^{n-1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ Z[/tex]
Now differentiate n-1 times:
[tex]\frac{d^{n-1}[F(x)(x-a)^n]}{dx^{n-1}}= \frac{d^{n-1}[f(x)(x-a)^n]}{dx^{n-1}}+ (n-1)!A[/tex]
Since f(x) is analytic, so is f(x)(x-a)n-1 and so its' n-1 derivative is continuous: its limit at a is 0. We have
[tex]A= \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{d^{n-1}[F(x)(x-a)^{n-1}]}{dx^{n-1}}[/tex]
for the residue at a pole of order n.

these are simple poles. i.e. since 1+x^4 has simple zeroes, dividing by it produces simple poles.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating higher order poles?

The purpose of evaluating higher order poles is to analyze and understand the stability and performance of a control system. Higher order poles, also known as complex poles, can significantly affect the behavior of a system and must be evaluated to ensure proper functioning.

2. How do you identify higher order poles in a control system?

Higher order poles can be identified by solving the characteristic equation of a system, which is obtained by setting the denominator of the transfer function equal to zero. The resulting roots of the equation are the poles, and complex poles indicate higher order poles.

3. What are the consequences of having higher order poles in a control system?

Higher order poles can lead to unstable behavior in a control system, causing oscillations and even system failure. They can also affect the transient response and steady-state error of a system, leading to poor performance.

4. How do you evaluate higher order poles using a simple download?

A simple download is a method of evaluating higher order poles by obtaining the frequency response of a system using a frequency response analyzer. The analyzer measures the amplitude and phase of the system's output to determine the location and characteristics of the poles.

5. Are there any limitations to using a simple download to evaluate higher order poles?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a simple download. It may not be suitable for systems with a large number of higher order poles or systems with time delays. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by noise and measurement errors.