1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highland Games hay bale toss!

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    2D Kinematic Equation! Need Help! I have a test tomorrow!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One of the most popular events at highland games is the hay toss, where competitors use a pitchfork to throw a bale of hay over a raised bar. Suppose the initial velocity of a bale of hay is varrowbold = (1.32 m/s)xhatbold + (8.85 m/s)yhatbold.
    (a) After what minimum time is its speed equal to 7 m/s?

(b) How long after the hay is tossed is it moving in a direction that is 45.0° below the horizontal?

2. Relevant equations
    I figured out the answer to part A using the quadriatic equation by saying that ...
    t=2Vnotyg+-sqrt of (-2Vnotyg)^2 - 4(g^2)(Vnotx^2+Vnoty^2-V^2)/2(g^2).
    I came up with the right answer of .201s.

I am stuck with part B. I don't know if I am overanalizing it or what. Someone please help!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Re: 2D Kinematic Equation! Need Help! I have a test tomorrow!

When it is moving at 45 degrees, the verticla (y) and horizontal (x) component are the same size.
    At 45 degrees down means the y-component is 1.32 down.

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    So I would say 1.32sin45, which would equal what? I am confused ... My mind is scrambled right now.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

The original velocities given didn't have a sin45 component, so why did you put one in.

Hint: at what time will the hay bale have a vertical component of 5 m/s down? If you can work that out, you can solve part (b) in a similar way

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5
    So I would use the Vy=Voy+Ayt right? And since Voy=0, the equation would be t=Vy/Ay?

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6
    Nm, I got it! It was t=x+y/g! I am over analizing this stuff way too much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook