Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Highland Games hay bale toss!

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    2D Kinematic Equation! Need Help! I have a test tomorrow!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One of the most popular events at highland games is the hay toss, where competitors use a pitchfork to throw a bale of hay over a raised bar. Suppose the initial velocity of a bale of hay is varrowbold = (1.32 m/s)xhatbold + (8.85 m/s)yhatbold.
    (a) After what minimum time is its speed equal to 7 m/s?

(b) How long after the hay is tossed is it moving in a direction that is 45.0° below the horizontal?

2. Relevant equations
    I figured out the answer to part A using the quadriatic equation by saying that ...
    t=2Vnotyg+-sqrt of (-2Vnotyg)^2 - 4(g^2)(Vnotx^2+Vnoty^2-V^2)/2(g^2).
    I came up with the right answer of .201s.

I am stuck with part B. I don't know if I am overanalizing it or what. Someone please help!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Re: 2D Kinematic Equation! Need Help! I have a test tomorrow!

When it is moving at 45 degrees, the verticla (y) and horizontal (x) component are the same size.
    At 45 degrees down means the y-component is 1.32 down.

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    So I would say 1.32sin45, which would equal what? I am confused ... My mind is scrambled right now.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

The original velocities given didn't have a sin45 component, so why did you put one in.

Hint: at what time will the hay bale have a vertical component of 5 m/s down? If you can work that out, you can solve part (b) in a similar way

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5
    So I would use the Vy=Voy+Ayt right? And since Voy=0, the equation would be t=Vy/Ay?

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6
    Nm, I got it! It was t=x+y/g! I am over analizing this stuff way too much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook