1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HighSchool Calculus Polynomial Division Help

1. Feb 14, 2006 #1
    I was just doing my homework when I stumbled on this question. I don't understand it and I was wondering if someone could help me through it (don't just do it though, because I wanna learn HOW to do it :smile: )

When 8x^3+4x^2-px+6, p E R, is divided by 2x-1, the remainer is 3. Determine the value of p.

Thank you (And sorry about the question, I don't know how to use the LaTex stuff yet)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Have you ever done a 'long division' on polynomials, perhaps easier ones?

4. Feb 14, 2006 #3
    Yeah, then I hit this question and I got lost. The unit is Chapter 1.4-Dividing Polynomials

5. Feb 14, 2006 #4
    I'm confused, I didn't use any calculus at all to solve it. This is how I did it...I used polynomial division (I'm assuming you can do that reasonably well), and then towards the end, I got (-p+4)x = -6x, and then solved that. This would be so much easier if I had a web cam to show my working. It would also make much more sense to you, since I wouldn't be surprised if you had no idea what I was talking about.

6. Feb 14, 2006 #5
    Just do polynomial division as usual until you get the remainer (which should contain the variable p). Equal that to 3 and you'll get the answer.

7. Feb 14, 2006 #6

TD

Homework Helper

Although it's a bit more work, the method is the same for larger polynomials and you can just consider p as an unknown parameter for now. See if you can get started on the division, unfortunately it's rather hard to display such a long division on the forum.

8. Feb 14, 2006 #7
    I wrote it out but I think I'm doing something wrong. While dividing, I get to the step 8x^2-px - 8x^2-4x

9. Feb 14, 2006 #8

TD

Homework Helper

Assuming that you mean [itex]8x^2-px - (8x^2-4x)[/itex], that's fine since that equals [itex]x(p-4)[/itex] which is exactly what finchie_88 found as well so I think you're on track!

10. Feb 14, 2006 #9
    OHH I SEE NOW. I get -px+4x, so I factor the x out?

11. Feb 14, 2006 #10
    I got it! THank you so much XD

12. Feb 14, 2006 #11

TD

Homework Helper

Great :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?