What is the Remainder of Polynomial Division in Z5[x] by x+3?

In summary, the problem was to find the remainder of x^4 + 3x +2 after division by x+3 in Z5[x]. The quotient after dividing was x^3 + 2X^2 + 4x +1, and the remainder was found to be 4. The author also requested for someone to check their work as they were not confident in dividing polynomials of different rings. The solution was found to be -1 = 4 (mod 5).
sarah77

Homework Statement

Find the remainder of x^4 + 3x +2 after division by x+3 in Z5[x]

Homework Equations

my quotient after dividing was: x^3 + 2X^2 + 4x +1

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the remainder to be 4. If anyone has time, I believe I made a mistake somewhere and would like someone to attempt this division so I can check my work. If you have time please check it because I am not confident in dividing polynomials of different rings. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
> I found the remainder to be 4. If anyone has time, I believe I made a mistake somewhere and would like someone to attempt this division so I can check my work. If you have time please check it because I am not confident in dividing polynomials of different rings.

Since (x+3)(x^3 + 2x^2 + 4x + 1) = x^4 + 2x^3 + 4x^2 + x + 3x^3 + 6x^2 + 12x + 3 = x^4 + 5x^3 + 10x^2 + 13x + 3 = x^4 + 3x + 3 (mod 5), I deduce that the remainder is -1 = 4 (mod 5). What makes you think you (and therefore also I) made a mistake somewhere?

Related to What is the Remainder of Polynomial Division in Z5[x] by x+3?

1. What is polynomial division in Z5[x]?

Polynomial division in Z5[x] is a mathematical process for dividing polynomials with coefficients in the ring of integers modulo 5. It involves using the rules of modular arithmetic to find the remainder when dividing one polynomial by another.

2. How is polynomial division in Z5[x] different from regular polynomial division?

Polynomial division in Z5[x] is different from regular polynomial division because it involves working with coefficients that are limited to the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 (instead of all integers). This means that the remainder can also only have these values, creating a finite number of possible outcomes.

3. What is the purpose of performing polynomial division in Z5[x]?

The purpose of polynomial division in Z5[x] is to simplify and solve polynomial equations in the ring of integers modulo 5. This can be useful in various areas of mathematics, such as cryptography and coding theory.

4. Can polynomial division in Z5[x] be applied to any polynomial?

No, polynomial division in Z5[x] can only be applied to polynomials with coefficients in the ring of integers modulo 5. If a polynomial has coefficients outside of this range, the division process will not work correctly.

5. Are there any special rules or techniques for polynomial division in Z5[x]?

Yes, there are some special rules and techniques for polynomial division in Z5[x], such as using the properties of modular arithmetic and working with coefficients in the range of 0 to 4. It is important to understand these rules in order to successfully perform polynomial division in Z5[x].