Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

History of Strenght of Materials by Timoshenko

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    "History of Strenght of Materials" by Timoshenko

I just bought "History of Strenght of Materials" by Timoshenko = = GOD. Anyone else read it? As an ME, I want to read all the books on the history of ME, so that I know as much about my profession as possible. I really am starting to like materials. I might want to consider it if I ever get to grad school, but Im not too sure yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have always wanted to get his stuff on mechanics. I have just never gotten around to it.

4. Jan 22, 2006 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Cyrus'. I graduated as an ME without ever reading Timoshenko but heard a lot of very favorable things about him after that. I began using some of his stuff to analyze plates under pressure loads but soon found that all his work, as well as many others, was summerized quite well by Roark. Roark's book on stress and strain is updated regularly and has become the bible for stress analysis. Although it is a bit of a cookbook, it provides a tremendous amount of information about stress analysis in one very convenient book. If you're interested in materials and stress analysis, you'll soon become familiar with it I'm sure.

5. Jan 22, 2006 #4
    You guys should read Timoshenko, it is the ME's bible. Or, you should read Higdon, Ohlsen, stiles, weese, riley, also gods. Their book is one of the best.

6. Jan 23, 2006 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahhh, the Irish always were the best at writing mechanics textbooks!

Couldn't have passed my ME degree without the help of Tim O'Shenko, he's a star!

7. Jan 23, 2006 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

hahahah :rofl: i hope you are kidding brewnog

8. Jan 23, 2006 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me? Kid?!

We tried that one on a Professor of Solids, he didn't see the funny side for some reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?