History of Strenght of Materials by Timoshenko

In summary, "History of Strenght of Materials" by Timoshenko is a highly praised and recommended book among mechanical engineers, often referred to as the ME's bible. It covers a wide range of topics related to materials and stress analysis and is highly regarded by professionals in the field. Other notable books on the subject include those by Higdon, Ohlsen, Stiles, Weese, and Riley. Timoshenko's writing style is often praised, with some even jokingly calling him "Tim O'Shenko."
Cyrus
"History of Strenght of Materials" by Timoshenko

I just bought "History of Strenght of Materials" by Timoshenko = = GOD. Anyone else read it? As an ME, I want to read all the books on the history of ME, so that I know as much about my profession as possible. I really am starting to like materials. I might want to consider it if I ever get to grad school, but I am not too sure yet.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have always wanted to get his stuff on mechanics. I have just never gotten around to it.

Hi Cyrus'. I graduated as an ME without ever reading Timoshenko but heard a lot of very favorable things about him after that. I began using some of his stuff to analyze plates under pressure loads but soon found that all his work, as well as many others, was summerized quite well by Roark. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007072542X/?tag=pfamazon01-20is updated regularly and has become the bible for stress analysis. Although it is a bit of a cookbook, it provides a tremendous amount of information about stress analysis in one very convenient book. If you're interested in materials and stress analysis, you'll soon become familiar with it I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys should read Timoshenko, it is the ME's bible. Or, you should read Higdon, Ohlsen, stiles, weese, riley, also gods. Their book is one of the best.

Ahhh, the Irish always were the best at writing mechanics textbooks!

Couldn't have passed my ME degree without the help of Tim O'Shenko, he's a star!

hahahah :rofl: i hope you are kidding brewnog

Cyclovenom said:
hahahah :rofl: i hope you are kidding brewnog

Me? Kid?!

We tried that one on a Professor of Solids, he didn't see the funny side for some reason.

1. What is the History of Strength of Materials by Timoshenko?

The History of Strength of Materials by Timoshenko is a book written by Stephen Timoshenko, a Russian engineer and mathematician. It was first published in 1925 and has since become a classic in the field of mechanics and engineering. The book details the development of the theory of strength of materials from ancient times to modern times.

2. How did Timoshenko contribute to the field of strength of materials?

Timoshenko is considered to be one of the pioneers in the field of strength of materials. He is known for his contributions in the areas of elasticity, plasticity, and mechanics of materials. His book, "History of Strength of Materials" is his most famous work and is still widely referenced by engineers and scientists today.

3. What is the significance of Timoshenko's book in the field of engineering?

Timoshenko's book is considered to be a landmark in the history of engineering. It not only provides a comprehensive overview of the development of the theory of strength of materials, but it also highlights the contributions of different scientists and engineers throughout history. The book continues to be a valuable resource for students and professionals in the field of engineering.

4. Has Timoshenko's book been updated since its first publication?

Yes, Timoshenko's book has been updated several times since its first publication in 1925. The latest edition, published in 1983, includes updates and revisions by James Gere, a renowned engineer and professor. The book continues to be updated and revised to keep up with the latest developments in the field of strength of materials.

5. Is Timoshenko's book suitable for beginners in the field of engineering?

While Timoshenko's book may be considered a classic, it may be more suitable for intermediate or advanced readers in the field of engineering. It covers a wide range of topics and may be more challenging for beginners. However, it is still a valuable resource for students and professionals who want to deepen their understanding of the history of strength of materials.