History of Universe (Baez timeline)

In summary, Baez's timeline is a very good overview of the development of the universe, with attention to some of the important scientific and historical events. However, there are some disagreements about certain events, and it would be helpful to have a more uniform timeline. Some of the timelines that are available online are helpful for further research, but it would be nice if they were more centralized. Some of the timelines are also very long, and may be difficult to follow.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Baez posted this timeline last week, its up to date
and it has big bang temperatures and cosmology stuff
as well as evolution of life on Earth stuff

and it also has projected history sever billion years into future
so it is a pretty good timeline, hope you check it out and
have some reactions

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/timeline.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice link. For another thumbnail try
http://www.stoertz.org/discourses/prehistoric.html

Last edited by a moderator:
marcus said:
Baez posted this timeline last week, its up to date
and it has big bang temperatures and cosmology stuff
as well as evolution of life on Earth stuff

and it also has projected history sever billion years into future
so it is a pretty good timeline, hope you check it out and
have some reactions

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/timeline.html

Very neat. I was fascinated by some of the life history. Who knew that grass was just a little older than apes? And birds go so far back?

I like Baez timeline, but he forgot to mention the Hadron era and the lepton era, both occurring before the starting of the radiation era

selfAdjoint said:
Very neat. I was fascinated by some of the life history. Who knew that grass was just a little older than apes?
Not so fast! According to http://, grasses are between 55 and 70 million years old, with clear 'grass pollen' in the fossil record from 60 million years ago. However, it does seem clear that dinosaurs didn't eat grass!

For those PF readers who don't already know, the 'grasses' include rice, wheat, and maize, and domesticated animals depend partly or wholly on grasses. Among the implications of increased levels of CO2 are the extent to which C3 plants will lose out to C4 ones (CAM plants aren't relevant here?); how many economically important grasses are C3 species?

It's also a little disappointing to see that Baez ignores the Chinese development of the printing press (at least 400 years before Gutenberg).

The Chinese press was important to the Chinese, but the European press was one of the things that led to the European exploration/plundering/colonizing expeditions, which led to the modern world.

Please do not expect a mathematical physicist to get his details on human history 100% correct.

I was thinking of creating a similar timeline. Looks like he beat me to it.

I'm very confused because I have examined a large quantity of timelines, and they seem to disagree in the ciphers, so in these times of "precision cosmology", it seems like a bad disease that we are not able to agree in the instants that things occurred.
Example: according to www.fact-index.com/t/ti/timeline_of_the_big_bang.html[/url] the lepton era occurred from 1 s until 3 min. after Big Bang. But according to [PLAIN]www.physics.gmu.edu/classinfo/astr103/CourseNotes/Html/Lec09/Lec09_pt2_cosmologyModern.htm it happened from 10-4 to 1 sec. after Big Bang. Similar disagreements can be found for the hadron era in different timelines. Some timelines mention the quark era, but others no. Some mention the electroweak era, but others no. Chronos link mentions both the Planck era, and the quantum gravity era, but I don't know how to differentiate between these two. I'd like a common consensus, history interests me also, you can never say that the Russian revolution happened in 1941 for example! :mad:

1. What is the Baez timeline of the History of the Universe?

The Baez timeline is a simplified and visual representation of the entire history of the universe, from the Big Bang to the present day. It was created by John Baez, a mathematical physicist, and is based on the latest scientific theories and evidence.

2. How old is the universe according to the Baez timeline?

According to the Baez timeline, the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years old. This age is based on the latest measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the oldest light in the universe.

3. What are the major events depicted in the Baez timeline?

The Baez timeline includes major events such as the Big Bang, the formation of the first stars and galaxies, the formation of our solar system, the evolution of life on Earth, and the development of human civilization. It also includes potential future events such as the death of the Sun and the expansion of the universe.

4. How is the Baez timeline different from other timelines of the History of the Universe?

The Baez timeline is different from other timelines of the history of the universe in that it is based on current scientific understanding and evidence. It also incorporates the concept of deep time, which shows the vastness of time and the relatively short existence of humanity in comparison.

5. What is the significance of the Baez timeline in understanding the history of the universe?

The Baez timeline helps us understand the history of the universe in a simplified and visual way. It also highlights the interconnectedness of all events and the vastness of time. Additionally, it serves as a reminder of our place in the universe and the importance of preserving and understanding our history.