Hit A Snag When Finding Area Inside A Circle And Under a Line

In summary, Jason attempted to solve a homework problem involving finding the total area inside a circle with a radius of 4 and below a line with a csc\theta of 2. TheAttempt at a Solution found that r=4 and y=2. The point of intersection is (0,0), and the equation for the total area is: 4=2/sin\theta\Rightarrow4sin\theta=2\Rightarrowsin\theta=2/4\Rightarrow\theta=\pi/6.
DCBaelar

Homework Statement

Find the total area inside the circle r = 4 and below the line r=2csc[itex]\theta[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{b}_{a}[/itex] 1/2r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

r=2/sin[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]rsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=2[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]y=2
r=4[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]=circle with radius 4 at center (0,0)

Point of Intersection:
4=2/sin[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow4[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]=2[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]=2/4[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]=[itex]\pi[/itex]/6

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{pi/6}_{0}[/itex] 1/2 (4-2csc[itex]\theta[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex]
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{pi/6}_{0}[/itex] 1/2 (16-4csc[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex])
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{pi/6}_{0}[/itex] (8-2csc[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex])
(8[itex]\theta[/itex]+2cot[itex]\theta[/itex])|[itex]^{pi/6}_{0}[/itex]
(8*pi/6)+2cot(pi/6)-(8*0)-2cot(0)
4pi/3+2√3-0-undefined

And that's my problem..the undefined 2cot.

I think where I went wrong is that sinθ=1/2 at [itex]\pi[/itex]/6 and 5[itex]\pi[/itex]/6 and thus my boundaries of integration should be [itex]\pi[/itex]/6 and 5[itex]\pi[/itex]/6.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks for any feedback/assistance.

Jason

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DCBaelar said:

Homework Statement

Find the total area inside the circle r = 4 and below the line r=2csc[itex]\theta[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{b}_{a}[/itex] 1/2r[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

r=2/sin[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]rsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=2[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]y=2
r=4[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]=circle with radius 4 at center (0,0)

Point of Intersection:
4=2/sin[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow4[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]=2[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]sin[itex]\theta[/itex]=2/4[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]=[itex]\pi[/itex]/6

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{pi/6}_{0}[/itex] 1/2 (4-2csc[itex]\theta[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex]
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{pi/6}_{0}[/itex] 1/2 (16-4csc[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex])
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{pi/6}_{0}[/itex] (8-2csc[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex])
(8[itex]\theta[/itex]+2cot[itex]\theta[/itex])|[itex]^{pi/6}_{0}[/itex]
(8*pi/6)+2cot(pi/6)-(8*0)-2cot(0)
4pi/3+2√3-0-undefined

And that's my problem..the undefined 2cot.

I think where I went wrong is that sinθ=1/2 at [itex]\pi[/itex]/6 and 5[itex]\pi[/itex]/6 and thus my boundaries of integration should be [itex]\pi[/itex]/6 and 5[itex]\pi[/itex]/6.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks for any feedback/assistance.

Jason

You have the intersection points correct but your integrals aren't. Think of ##r## as a circular windshield wiper. As it moves around the circle, most of the time it is 4 units long as it sweeps over the bottom of the circle. However as it sweeps over the top half, when it hits the straight line, it needs to shorten itself with a variable length to sweep just the region under the line. So part of the time ##r=4## and part of the time ##r=2\csc\theta##. So you have to break the integral up into two pieces, using the two different values for ##r##. And you want to integrate once around the circle in a positive direction. Does that help?

LCKurtz,

Thank for the reply. If I understand correctly, I need to integrate 2cscθ from 5π/6 to π/6 and then subtract the integration of the circle from 5π/6 to π/6. Take that value and subtract from the total area of the circle as found with πr^2?

Thanks,

Jason

DCBaelar said:
LCKurtz,

Thank for the reply. If I understand correctly, I need to integrate 2cscθ from 5π/6 to π/6 and then subtract the integration of the circle from 5π/6 to π/6. Take that value and subtract from the total area of the circle as found with πr^2?

Thanks,

Jason

I don't know if you wrote what you meant. On the line segment, ##\frac 1 2 r^2## isn't ##2\csc\theta##. And why mess around with all that adding and subtracting areas. You could go once around in the positive direction by starting at ##-\frac{7\pi} 6## and going counterclockwise to ##\frac \pi 6## for the circle part and ##\frac \pi 6## to ##\frac{5\pi} 6## for the other part. Remember you must always integrate in the positive ##\theta## direction.

What is the formula for finding the area inside a circle?

The formula for finding the area inside a circle is A = πr^2, where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

How do you find the area under a line?

To find the area under a line, you need to use integration. The definite integral of the function representing the line will give you the area under the line between two specified points.

What is meant by "hitting a snag" when finding the area inside a circle and under a line?

Hitting a snag refers to encountering a problem or difficulty when trying to find the area inside a circle and under a line. This could be due to a mistake in calculations, an unusual shape of the circle or line, or limitations in the mathematical tools being used.

Can the area inside a circle and under a line be negative?

No, the area inside a circle and under a line cannot be negative. Area is always a positive value, representing the amount of space enclosed by a shape.

Is there a simple way to calculate the area inside a circle and under a line?

There is no simple or universal method for calculating the area inside a circle and under a line. It often involves using different mathematical techniques and formulas, such as integration, to arrive at the correct value.