Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hodge duality and differential forms

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1
    If we have,$$A=d[(\bar{\alpha}-\alpha)(dt+\lambda)]$$
    where $$\alpha$$ is a complex function and $$\lambda$$ is a 1-form. t here represents the time coordinate.

If we want to calculate $$d\star A=0$$ where $$\star$$ is hodge star, we get if I did my calculations correctly $$\nabla^2[(\bar{\alpha}-\alpha)(dt+\lambda)]=0$$

From the product rule, we get $$(\bar{\alpha}-\alpha)\nabla^2(dt+\lambda)+ (dt+\lambda)\nabla^2 (\bar{\alpha}-\alpha) +2 \nabla^2(\bar{\alpha}-\alpha)\nabla^2(dt+\lambda)=0$$
    Does it mean here that each term must equal zero and thus since $$(\bar{\alpha}-\alpha)$$ can not be zero in the first term so $$\nabla^2(dt+\lambda)=0$$ thus killing with it the third term in the equation and only leaving the second term?
    That is simplifying the above equation, we get, $$(dt+\lambda)\nabla^2 (\bar{\alpha}-\alpha)=0$$ thus leaving us with $$\nabla^2 (\bar{\alpha}-\alpha)=0$$

Can this step be done?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2
    I suppose you're working on a Lorentzian manifold, Minkowski space?
    What is ##\nabla^2##, the Hodge-Laplacian?

If you're doing physics, why choose a particular "time coordinate"?

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3
    $$\nabla^2$$ is the normal laplacian of (x,y,z). t is chosen like this such that dt is a 1 form.

5. Mar 29, 2015 #4
    Right, so you're working in a Newtonian spacetime. Maybe using the fact that
    $$\Delta = \left( d + d^* \right)^2 = d d^* + d^* d $$
    with ##d^*## being the codifferential will help. Btw, if you're doing Cartan calculus ##\nabla^2## is a bad notation for the Hodge-Laplace / Laplace-Beltrami operator, because it suggests that you're applying the connection twice.

6. Mar 29, 2015 #5
    So yes, considering that I used this notation istead of $\nabla^2$ is my final answer correct or at least is the procedure correct that I considered all terms must be set equal to zero?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook