Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
In summary, Christmas meals in the U.S. typically include a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams or sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. Some families have a traditional fried turkey, while others make a venison or elk roast. Christmas tea usually consists of tea sandwiches and pastries.
Sophia
What do you usually eat for Christmas/other holidays around this time? Do you have any customs or traditions connected to Christmas meals?

Here, the main meal is called "generous dinner" because it is the first meal after fasting season has finished. It is on Christmas Eve. It is customary to have a fish, because it is an ancient symbol for Jesus. We'll have trout this year. We'll also have a traditional cabbage soup with homemade sausage and forest mushrooms. After that there should be waffers with honey, various nuts and cutting the apple. If you can see a "star" when the apple is cut in half, you'll be lucky next year :) Some people put fish scales into their wallet to attract money. In some Christian families, parents make a sign of cross with honey on their children's forehead. After the dinner, we open the presents and then watch fairy tales- even adults love watching the same old stories every year :)
On first Christmas day, we'll have a duck with orange sauce.
On the second day of Christmas we'll probably have a German-style pork with potato dumplings and mustard sauce.
And of course, there will be pastries, both sweet and salty, exotic fruit and some good wine :)

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
We can't cook a turkey worth a dam, so we stopped trying lol. We make Tamales and Carne aside outside. Much tasty then a bird full of steroids.

My neighbors who are African-American, make something called a fried turkey. Best turkey i have ever had.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Sophia
Thanks, I've searched for Tamale and it looks fine. Maybe I'll make it sometime :)

We have the traditional turkey and stuffing balls with cranberry sauce, gravy, roast potatoes, roast parsnips,sprouts and may be carrots. followed by Christmas pudding with brandy butter.
Our tradition is to have all the family together, brothers sisters ,mother in laws etc there will be about 16 of us this year.:eek:
Tea time is just nibbles, sausages in blankets( little sausages wrapped in bacon) cheese and pineapple on sticks etc and of course Christmas cake.
My daughter doe's all the cooking and prep, normally i do the washing up:frown:
That is all on boxing day, Christmas day we just have a normal meal after church.

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
My husband is a very creative and adventurous cook. He'll cook elk, duck, quail, venison...anything that strikes his fancy.

For example, this last Thanksgiving we had turkey, pheasant, and quail. He called it Roast Aviary :wink:.

This Christmas we'll have prime rib. Not too unusual - fine by me, I love rib roast!

I've never eaten potato dumplings before. Last night I watched a couple of youtube clips about how to make them. Today or tomorrow I'll try it out (these ingredients in my area are cheap). But I will change the pie with use of shrimp or other sea food meats instead of bread crumbs (?). :DD

Likes Sophia
Silicon, I used the word potato dumplings in this recipe because I have no idea how to call it. It Is made of potato dough but it looks differently than traditional dumplings. We saw this in Wienna. I really don't remember the German name lol
Of course, real potato dumplings with a special kind of cheese called bryndza are considered our traditional meal. You can use feta cheese instead. You are right, they are cheap, that's why they ate them frequently in the past.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Silicon, I don't understand where you saw the bread crumbs. You probably found a completely different recipe. In the classic recipe, you use an aromatic soft cheese and bacon. I'll sent you a video when I come home.
Well, you may use shrimp sauce. I've never tried that before, but it's good to experiment!

Likes Silicon Waffle
lisab said:
My husband is a very creative and adventurous cook. He'll cook elk, duck, quail, venison...anything that strikes his fancy.

For example, this last Thanksgiving we had turkey, pheasant, and quail. He called it Roast Aviary :wink:.

This Christmas we'll have prime rib. Not too unusual - fine by me, I love rib roast!
Lisab, that may be cool! Is your husband a hunter? In the past, I was really against hunting but now I think it is more ethical to eat animals that were happy all their life compared to those that we buy in supermarkets. Of course I am talking about legal hunting in a strictly controlled way.
Once I tried a venison and it was yummy [emoji2]

MidgetDwarf said:
We make Tamales
Wish I knew how to make authentic tamales. I do know the process is very time consuming.

hannukah just ended a couple weeks ago, we're not huge on keeping tradition here but on one night my mom made potato latkes with sour cream and we bought these really fancy doughnuts from a bakery

What is a "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond"?

A "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond" is a specialized menu for a holiday dinner that includes a variety of dishes and options to accommodate different dietary needs. It typically includes traditional holiday dishes as well as unique and creative options.

Can I customize the "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond"?

Yes, most restaurants or catering companies offering a "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond" will allow for customization. This can include choosing specific dishes, altering ingredients to accommodate allergies or preferences, and adjusting portion sizes.

Are there vegetarian or vegan options on the "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond"?

Yes, many "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond" options will include vegetarian and/or vegan options. Some restaurants or catering companies may even offer a separate vegetarian or vegan menu for the holiday dinner.

How far in advance should I order the "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond"?

It is recommended to order a "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond" at least 1-2 weeks in advance to ensure availability and allow for any necessary preparations. Some may require even more notice, so it is best to check with the specific restaurant or catering company.

Is the "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond" more expensive than a regular menu?

It depends on the restaurant or catering company, but in general, a "Holiday Menu - Generous Dinner & Beyond" may be slightly more expensive due to the specialized and often higher-quality ingredients used. However, some may offer special deals or discounts for large group orders.