Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holland vs Ivory Coast

1. Jun 16, 2006 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Crucial game between two strong teams in the group of death. After the last game, who do you think should start up front for Holland? Van Nistelrooy or Dirk Kuyt?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2006 #2
    Nistelrooy

4. Jun 16, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He started, and scored. 2-1 to holland at half-time. Awesome game! I can't wait to see how this one ends.

5. Jun 16, 2006 #4

dav2008

Gold Member

Ahem...

Netherlands vs Côte d'Ivoire

6. Jun 16, 2006 #5
    I really wanted Côte d'Ivoire to win. Wouldn't that have made Arg v Ned more interesting.

7. Jun 16, 2006 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Côte d'Ivoire played really well! There are some real stars in that team. Kone scored a stunner. Zokora is really good. Did anyone see that spin he did in midfield? And the audacious flick by Drogba?

8. Jun 16, 2006 #7

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or, at least, a tie.

9. Jun 16, 2006 #8
    Yep, that match definitely needed an equaliser.

10. Jun 16, 2006 #9
    Aggreed, The IVORY COAST (no offence to the francophiles :) )deserved another goal. NL dont look so good, ARG should beat them

11. Jun 16, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just looking at the scoreboard on Google and it says that Kone (CIV) scored off an assist from Robben (NED)! How did that happen?

12. Jun 16, 2006 #11
    Originally Posted by Gokul43201

I'm just looking at the scoreboard on Google and it says that Kone (CIV) scored off an assist from Robben (NED)! How did that happen?

That did not happen. It was a superb solo run and long range finish. Brilliant goal. This is probably the best game so far.

13. Jun 17, 2006 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exciting game. I think Ivory Coast was underrated because of being an African team rather than Netherlands playing badly. Both Argentina and Netherlands should win in the round of 16 - they play the Portugal-Mexio group survivors.

I thought the referee had a bad first half, though. The first three cards were undeserved while Boularouz definitely deserved one for his tackle.

14. Jun 18, 2006 #13
    Wasn't as good as I expected. Perhaps, I underestimated Ivory Coast, they did put up a tough fight. To be fair to Ivory Coast, I do not agree with some of the refree's decisions for Ivory Coast, some were pretty unreasonable. The Dutch team also did not seem to be at their best.

15. Jun 18, 2006 #14

DM

It's almost dead certain that Holland will win. Brave or no brave, Ivory Coast lack the crucial ingredients to win this game.

16. Jun 18, 2006 #15

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you watch the match?
    Ivory coast dominated the second half and if not for some brave defending, the dutch could have easily lost. I think Ivory coast is a top team, and were unlucky to lose this game.

17. Jun 18, 2006 #16

DM

Actually I confused matches. Forget what I said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?