1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework help finding fraction of initial mass of rocket and fuel

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Obviously, we can make rockets to go very fast, but what is a reasonable top speed? Assume that a rocket is fired from rest at a space station in deep space, where gravity is negligible.

If the rocket ejects gas at a relative speed of 1100 and you want the rocket's speed eventually to be 1.00×10−3 c, where c is the speed of light, what fraction of the initial mass of the rocket and fuel is not fuel

2. Relevant equations

v=v(ex)ln(m/m0)
    v1=1100lm(m/m0)

3. The attempt at a solution

i think im having trouble finding the final velocity. I did another poblem were the final velocity was 4000 m/s and i got it correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2
    The final velocity is 1.00×10−3 c.

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    that is what i thought but when i try in on mastering physics i get in incorrect

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4
    Try e100 then e200 and you will see why.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook