1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help (Signal Processing)

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    Hello All, I am currently taking Signal Processing & Linear Systems. Ive come across my last problem for homework but cant find a way to do it. If someone can show me in the right direction it will be very helpful.

Thanks

The Problem:
    The voltage f(t) = 2u(t) is applied to the circuit shown in the figure below. The
    initial inductor current is i(0) = 2mA.

250mH
    |-----mmm------| +
    f(t) ( ~ ) i(t)--> Z 500 Ohms y(t)
    |______________| _

a) Find the zero-input response yzi(t) of the system.
    b) Find the zero-state response yzs(t) of the system.
    c) What is the total response y(t) of the system?

so far all i can get is the differential needed, but im not even sure if its right:
    f(t) = 250mH*Ldi/dt + 500*i(t) --> 250mH D + 500y(t)

any help trying to finish this problem would be great thanks again!

Ajay

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2

CEL

The value of the inductor L is 250mH = 0.25H, so your first term is redundant. You should have:
    [tex]0.25\frac{di}{dt}+500i=f(t)[/tex]
    with the initial condition [tex]i(0)=2\times10^{-3}[/tex]
    To find the zero input response you solve the homogeneous equation (f(t)=0) and replace the initial condition [tex]i(0)=2\times10^{-3}[/tex] in order to eliminate the integration constant.
    To find the zero state response you solve the non-homogeneous equation (f(t)=2u(t)) and replace the initial condition [tex]i(0)=0[/tex] in order to eliminate the integration constant.
    The total response is the sum of yzi and yzs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?