1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homogeneity criteria (Thermodynamics)

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is this one:

Consider a monocomponent fluid, isolated and in equilibrium,

a) Find the homogeneity criteria that must fulfill the number of microstates Ω(U,V,N).

b) If Ω(U,V,N)=exp(a*Vα*Uβ) when a>0 use the result in a to find the condition that have to fulfill α and β.

c) Find the Helmholtz energy expresion and study the stability of the system depending of α and β

I don't knok how to find the 1º part, so I cannot continue, if you Can help me, I'll be very grateful,

2. Relevant equations

S=Kb·ln(Ω) (And possible Much More)

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't have any idea on how to solve this problem, because i don't find any information in the web, but i think that probable, this homogeneity criteria means Criteria for equilibrium in statistical thermodynamics, that I find some information in the web, but this criteria only arrives that in a isoltated sistem, all the parts of the system must have the same Temperature, and I think that the problem shoud not focus in this way.

I see that possible one criteria is that Ω(λU,λV,λN)=λ*Ω(U,V,N)

A little help, can help me to solve this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I have never hear of the term, but it is indeed reasonable that it means equilibirum. In that case, what is the relation between the number of microstates and equilibirum?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted