Homogeneous Differential Equation

That's what I was missing: I didn't see that C2 = C3. I kept trying to find the value of C3 in the final equation so that I could set it equal to C2 so that I could solve for C2. I was trying to make it more complicated than it was.
Zem
Solve the initial value problem
y''' - 5y'' + 100y' - 500y = 0; y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 10, y''(0) = 250
given that y_1(x) = e^5x is one particular solution of the differential equation.
r^3 - 5r^2 + 100r - 500 = 0
r = +/- 10i or 5
complementary solution y_c = e^5x(c1cos10x + c2sin10x)
general solution y_g = y_c + y_p = e^5x(c1cos10x + c2sin10x + 1)
y(0) = c1 + 0 + 1 = 0
c1 = -1
y'(0) = 5e^5x((-1)cos10x + c2sin10x) + e^5x(-10(-1)sin10x + 10c2cos10x) = 10

5*(-1) + 10(0) + 10c2 = 10
10c2 = 15
c2 = 3/2
y(x) = e^5x(-cos10x + (3/2)sin10x + 1)

The book's answer is 2e^5x - 2cos10x. How did they get that? And do I need y''(0) = 250? I have one real root and 2 complex roots, so
e^ax(c1cosbx + c2sinbx) should work. And I don't need y'' because I don't have a c3 to solve for, yes? What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given three initial conditions: one to determine each parameter c1, c2, and c3; the last of these you have left out somewhere: look for it in your y_g.

I have one real root and 2 complex roots. Euler's formula e^ax(c1cosbx + c2sinbx) should suffice. e^ax does not get a c_n coefficient. There is also no c coefficient in y_1(x) = e^5x.

If I multiply e^5x by c3 to make y_g = e^5x(c1cos10x + c2sin10x) + c3e^5x
I get:
[c1 + 0 + c3 = 0]
[5c1 + 10c2 + 5c3 = 0]
[125c1 + 100c2 + 25c3 = 250]

After row reducing, I get c1 = 3/2, c2 = 1, c3 = -3/2
These coefficients bring me nowhere near the book's answer. Are you sure there is a c3 in this differential equation? I wouldn't know in which term it would be.

You've misunderstood.
You have one solution for each of the roots:
[tex]C_{0}e^{ax}, C_{1}\cos(bx), C_{2}\sin(bx), a=5, b=10[/tex]

Do you really need a particular solution to find the general solution of a _homogeneous_ diff. equation? I think it's useful only for non-homogeneous ones. You should review that part.

If the roots of the characteristic equation are +10i, -10i and 5, then the general solution for your homogeneous diff. equation has the form
[itex] y = C_1 e^{5x} + C_2 e^{10ix} + C_3 e^{-10ix} [/itex]
Differentiating and applying the initial conditions I get that [itex] C_1 + C_2 + C_3 = 0 [/itex], [itex] 5 C_1 + 10i C_2 - 10i C_3 = 10 [/itex] - and this is enough to see that [itex] C_2 = C_3 [/itex] and thus [itex] C_1 = 2, C_2 = C_3 = -1 [/itex]
Now using the the (Euler?) identity [itex] e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x [/itex], you can simplify [itex] y = 2e^{5x} - e^{10ix} - e^{-10ix} = 2e^{5x} - \cos 10x - i \sin 10x - \cos 10x + i \sin 10x = 2e^{5x} - 2\cos10x [/itex], which agrees with your book's solution.

Zem said:
Solve the initial value problem
y''' - 5y'' + 100y' - 500y = 0; y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 10, y''(0) = 250
given that y_1(x) = e^5x is one particular solution of the differential equation.
r^3 - 5r^2 + 100r - 500 = 0
r = +/- 10i or 5
complementary solution y_c = e^5x(c1cos10x + c2sin10x)
general solution y_g = y_c + y_p = e^5x(c1cos10x + c2sin10x + 1)
y(0) = c1 + 0 + 1 = 0
c1 = -1
y'(0) = 5e^5x((-1)cos10x + c2sin10x) + e^5x(-10(-1)sin10x + 10c2cos10x) = 10

5*(-1) + 10(0) + 10c2 = 10
10c2 = 15
c2 = 3/2
y(x) = e^5x(-cos10x + (3/2)sin10x + 1)

The book's answer is 2e^5x - 2cos10x. How did they get that? And do I need y''(0) = 250? I have one real root and 2 complex roots, so
e^ax(c1cosbx + c2sinbx) should work. And I don't need y'' because I don't have a c3 to solve for, yes? What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
You do not multiply the solution e5t by the other solutions, you form a linear combination!

The general solution is, as vladb said,
or, equivalently
[tex]y= C_1 e^{5x}+ C_2 cos(10x)+ C_3 sin(10x)[/tex]

[tex]e^{5x}(C_1 cos(10x)+ C_2 sin(10x))[/tex]
would be appropriate for characteristic solutions 5+ 10i and 5- 10i.

vladb, "particular solution" does not necessarily apply to non-homogeneous equations, it simply means one (not the general) solution to an equation. Here, of course, it tells us one solution to the cubic characteristic equation, allowing us to reduce to a simple quadratic.

HallsofIvy said:
You do not multiply the solution e5t by the other solutions, you form a linear combination!

The general solution is, as vladb said,
or, equivalently
[tex]y= C_1 e^{5x}+ C_2 cos(10x)+ C_3 sin(10x)[/tex]

[tex]e^{5x}(C_1 cos(10x)+ C_2 sin(10x))[/tex]
would be appropriate for characteristic solutions 5+ 10i and 5- 10i.

vladb, "particular solution" does not necessarily apply to non-homogeneous equations, it simply means one (not the general) solution to an equation. Here, of course, it tells us one solution to the cubic characteristic equation, allowing us to reduce to a simple quadratic.

I know that, that's why I said "useful". I only wanted to emphasize that one doesn't necessarily need "particular solutions" to find the general solution of a homogen. diff. equation. (And this is where OP's confusion appeared first, imho). And finding a particular solution y = e^5x is a problem of the same difficulty as guessing a root r=5 of the characteristic polynomial.

Thank You!

What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation in which all the terms can be expressed as functions of the dependent variable and its derivatives. In other words, the equation is "homogeneous" in its structure, meaning that all the terms have the same degree.

How do you solve a homogeneous differential equation?

To solve a homogeneous differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables or the method of substitution. In the separation of variables method, you separate the dependent and independent variables and integrate each side separately. In the substitution method, you substitute a new variable to transform the equation into a separable form.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation?

The main difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation is the structure of the equation. In a homogeneous equation, all the terms have the same degree, while in a non-homogeneous equation, the terms may have different degrees. This difference affects the methods used to solve the equation.

Can a homogeneous differential equation have non-constant coefficients?

Yes, a homogeneous differential equation can have non-constant coefficients. In fact, most homogeneous equations in real-world applications have non-constant coefficients. However, the methods used to solve the equation remain the same, regardless of the coefficients being constant or non-constant.

What are the applications of homogeneous differential equations?

Homogeneous differential equations have many applications in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.