2nd order non-linear homogeneous differential equation

In summary, the homework statement is to find a solution of z'' + 2z - 6(tanh(t))2z = 0 that is linearly dependent of Z1 = sech2. Integration can be done using the integrating factor.
byrnesj1

Homework Statement

Find a solution (Z2) of:
z'' + 2z - 6(tanh(t))2z = 0

that is linearly independent of Z1 = sech2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

reduction of order gives you

v''(t)(Z1(t))+v'(t)(2 * Z1'(t)) + v(t)(Z1''(t)+p(t)Z1'(t)) = 0
however the third term on the LHS can be dropped since we know that Z1 is a solution to the original problem.

v''(t)(Z1(t))+v'(t)(2 * Z1'(t)) = 0 = sech2(t)v''(t) + 2(-2tanh2(t)sech2(t))v'(t)

let y = v'

sech2(t)y'(t) + 2(-2tanh2(t)sech2(t))y(t) = 0

divide both sides by sech2(t)

y'(t) - 4tanh2(t)y(t) = 0

from here would I use integrating factor, or should I have done exact equations for the step before this?

using integrating factor
μ(t) = e(4tanh(t)-4t)
y = e-(4tanh(t)-4t)
v = ∫e-(4tanh(t)-4t)dt

can any1 point me in the correct direction? I also don't know how to integrate the last part..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
byrnesj1 said:

Homework Statement

Find a solution (Z2) of:
z'' + 2z - 6(tanh(t))2z = 0

that is linearly dependent of Z1 = sech2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

reduction of order gives you

v''(t)(Z1(t))+v'(t)(2 * Z1'(t)) + v(t)(Z1''(t)+p(t)Z1'(t)) = 0
however the third term on the LHS can be dropped since we know that Z1 is a solution to the original problem.

v''(t)(Z1(t))+v'(t)(2 * Z1'(t)) = 0 = sech2(t)v''(t) + 2(-2tanh2(t)sech2(t))v'(t)

let y = v'

sech2(t)y'(t) + 2(-2tanh2(t)sech2(t))y(t) = 0

divide both sides by sech2(t)

y'(t) - 4tanh2(t)y(t) = 0

from here would I use integrating factor, or should I have done exact equations for the step before this?

using integrating factor
μ(t) = e(4tanh(t)-4t)
y = e-(4tanh(t)-4t)
v = ∫e-(4tanh(t)-4t)dt

can any1 point me in the correct direction? I also don't know how to integrate the last part..

Check the derivative of sech2(t).

ehild

ahh that works beautifully. thanks ehild.

What is a 2nd order non-linear homogeneous differential equation?

A 2nd order non-linear homogeneous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its first and second derivatives, and possibly other terms, but does not contain any constant terms. Non-linear means that the terms involving the function and its derivatives are not all raised to the power of 1, and homogeneous means that all terms in the equation have the same degree.

How do you solve a 2nd order non-linear homogeneous differential equation?

There is no general method for solving all 2nd order non-linear homogeneous differential equations. However, some common techniques include substitution, separation of variables, and using special functions such as the Bernoulli equation or the Riccati equation. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate a solution.

What is the difference between a linear and non-linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is one where each term involving the function and its derivatives is raised to the power of 1. In other words, the function and its derivatives appear in a direct or additive relationship. A non-linear differential equation, on the other hand, has terms where the function and its derivatives are raised to powers other than 1, creating a more complex relationship between them.

What does it mean for a differential equation to be homogeneous?

A homogeneous differential equation is one where all terms in the equation have the same degree. This means that the function and its derivatives are raised to the same power in each term. In contrast, a non-homogeneous differential equation has terms with different degrees, creating a more complex relationship between the function and its derivatives.

Why is the "homogeneous" property important in differential equations?

The homogeneous property in differential equations simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve. It allows us to use techniques such as substitution or separation of variables to find a particular solution. Homogeneous equations also have special properties that make them useful in modeling physical systems and phenomena in science and engineering.