Find a particular solution for a non-homogeneous differential equation

In summary, to find a particular solution for the equation y"+2y'+y=12.5e-t, you can use the undetermined coefficients method. However, the choice of yp=e-t is not a good one since it is a solution of the homogeneous problem. Instead, you can try a particular solution of the form yp=Ae-t, where A is a constant. By plugging this into the equation and solving for A, you can find the particular solution to be yp=12.5e-t/2. This, combined with the complementary solution, gives the general solution to the equation.
blouqu6
Find a particular solution for the following equation:

y"+2y'+y=12.5e-t

I'm not sure on which method to use. Here's my attempt using the undetermined coefficients method:

→y"+2y'+y=12.5e-t
r2+2r+1=0
r=-1 *not even sure if this part is useful

→yp=e-t
yp'=-e-t
yp"=e-t

→y"+2y'+y=12.5e-t
(e-t)+2(-e-t)+(e-t)=12.5e-t

e-t(1-2+1)=e-t(12.5)

This is where I get stuck; I don't believe I'm taking the right approach from the get-go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
blouqu6 said:
Find a particular solution for the following equation:

y"+2y'+y=12.5e-t

I'm not sure on which method to use. Here's my attempt using the undetermined coefficients method:

→y"+2y'+y=12.5e-t
r2+2r+1=0
r=-1 *not even sure if this part is useful
It's very useful, as it gives you the complementary solution, the solution to the homogeneous problem. Note that r = -1 is a repeated solution of the characteristic equation.
blouqu6 said:
→yp=e-t
Not a good choice for a particular solution. e-t is a solution of the homogeneous problem, so can't possibly be a solution of the nonhomogeneous problem.
blouqu6 said:
yp'=-e-t
yp"=e-t

→y"+2y'+y=12.5e-t
(e-t)+2(-e-t)+(e-t)=12.5e-t

e-t(1-2+1)=e-t(12.5)

This is where I get stuck; I don't believe I'm taking the right approach from the get-go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is a non-homogeneous differential equation?

A non-homogeneous differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives, where the function is not equal to zero. This means that the equation is not homogeneous, or does not have the same form on both sides.

2. Why do we need to find a particular solution for a non-homogeneous differential equation?

Finding a particular solution for a non-homogeneous differential equation allows us to solve for the specific values of the function and its derivatives that satisfy the equation. This is important in many scientific and engineering applications, where precise solutions are needed.

3. How do we find a particular solution for a non-homogeneous differential equation?

There are several methods for finding a particular solution for a non-homogeneous differential equation, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the given initial conditions.

4. What is the difference between a particular solution and a general solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the given non-homogeneous differential equation, while a general solution is a family of solutions that includes all possible particular solutions and also satisfies any given initial conditions. The general solution includes arbitrary constants that can be determined by the initial conditions.

5. Can a particular solution for a non-homogeneous differential equation be unique?

No, a particular solution for a non-homogeneous differential equation is not always unique. This is because the general solution includes arbitrary constants that can take on different values, resulting in different particular solutions. However, a particular solution can be unique if the initial conditions are specified or if a specific method is used to find the solution.