Homomorphism from field to ring

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fantini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that every homomorphism of a field to a ring is either one-to-one or null. The conversation includes a proof and a suggestion to consider the kernel of the homomorphism as a way to conclude the argument.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Good afternoon! I wasn't able to get the necessary grade in abstract algebra and now I'm redoing many exercises and I would like some correction. All help is appreciated! (Smile)

Here is the question:

Show that every homomorphism of a field to a ring is one-to-one or null.

Let $\phi: F \to R$ be a homomorphism from a field $F$ to a ring $R$. Assume that $\phi \neq 0$. We have that $\phi(0_F) = 0_R$. Suppose that $\phi (a) = \phi(b)$. Since $F$ is a field, we will have $\phi(a-b) = 0_R$ if and only if $a-b=0$ and therefore $a=b$.

Cheers! (Yes)

Physics news on Phys.org
you're "just" missing it. what you want to PROVE is:

$\phi(x) = 0_R \iff x = 0_F$ if $\phi$ is not the 0-map.

you can't use this in the proof itself (the "if" part is easy).

now if $\phi(a) = \phi(b)$ then $\phi(a) - \phi(b) = 0_R$, and since $\phi$ is a ring-hmomorphism:

$\phi(a-b) = 0_R$ up to here, you're good. now we need to prove what i stated above.

well the set $\{x \in F: \phi(x) = 0_R\}$ is the kernel of $\phi$ and kernels are ideals (in rings).

but a field F only has two ideals, F and {0F}. if the kernel is F, $\phi$ is the 0-map. since we are assuming $\phi$ is not the 0-map, the kernel is {0F}. NOW we know that:

$a-b = 0_F$ so that $a = b$.

I was close! Thanks Deveno! I will pay more attention next time. The kernel is a neat way to conclude the argument (don't know if it's the only one, but I definitely liked the idea).

1. What is a homomorphism from field to ring?

A homomorphism from a field to a ring is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of both the field and the ring. This means that the function must preserve the operations of addition and multiplication, as well as the identities and inverses of these operations.

2. How is a homomorphism different from an isomorphism?

A homomorphism does not necessarily have to be a bijection (one-to-one and onto) like an isomorphism. This means that there may be elements in the range of the function that are not mapped to by any element in the domain, and vice versa. However, an isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism, meaning it preserves the algebraic structure and is a one-to-one and onto function.

3. Can a homomorphism from field to ring be a surjection or an injection?

Yes, a homomorphism can be a surjection (onto) or an injection (one-to-one) or both, depending on the specific function. However, it is not required for a homomorphism to be either of these.

4. How is a homomorphism used in mathematics?

Homomorphisms are used in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They are useful for studying the properties and relationships between different algebraic structures, and can help simplify complex calculations and proofs.

5. What is an example of a homomorphism from a field to a ring?

An example of a homomorphism from a field to a ring is the function f: ℝ (real numbers) → ℤ (integers) defined by f(x) = ⌊x⌋, where ⌊x⌋ is the floor function (rounds down to the nearest integer). This function preserves the operations of addition and multiplication, as well as the identities and inverses of these operations, making it a homomorphism.