Ring Homomorphisms - Rotman - Theorem 3.33

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of homomorphisms in abstract algebra and focuses on proving Theorem 3.33. The proof involves defining a new function \tilde{\phi} and showing that it satisfies certain properties. The question is about formally and rigorously proving the properties of \tilde{\phi}, specifically that \tilde{\phi}(x) = s and \tilde{\phi}(r) = \phi(r). The solution involves using the fact that \phi is a homomorphism and showing that \phi(0) = 0, which ultimately leads to the desired results.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J.Rotman's book, A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Section 3.4 Homomorphisms (of Rings)

I need help with the proof of Theorem 3.33 ...

Theorem 3.33 and the start of its proof reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4529

In the above text, we read the following:" ... ... \(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi } \ : \ r_0 + r_1 x + \ ... \ ... \ + r_n x^n \longmapsto \phi (r_0) + \phi (r_1)s + \ ... \ ... \ + \phi (r_n) s^n\)This formula shows that \(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi } (x) = s\) and \(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi } (r) = \phi (r)\) ... ... "
My question is as follows:

How do we show (formally and rigorously) that \(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi } (x) = s\) and \(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi } (r) = \phi (r)\) from the above definition of \(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi }\) ... ...
*** NOTE ***

We have that

\(\displaystyle x = 0 + 1.x + 0.x^2 + 0.x^3 + \ ... \ ... \ + 0.x^n
\)

So it seems that, from the definition of \tilde{ \phi } that

\(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi } (x) = \phi (0) + \phi (1)s + \phi (0) s^2 + \phi (0) s^3 + \ ... \ ... \ + \phi (0) s^n \) ... BUT ... for this to give us \(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi } (x) = s\) we would need to show \(\displaystyle \phi (0) = 0\) ... but why is this true?Hope someone can help ...

PeterPossible Solution to my question ...

Since \(\displaystyle \phi\) is a homomorphism we have ... ...

\(\displaystyle \phi (0) = \phi (0 + 0) = \phi (0) + \phi (0)\)

Thus \(\displaystyle \phi (0) = 0\) ...

and then the required results follow ...

Can someone please confirm the above analysis is correct?

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

You are correct; $\varphi(0) = 0$, and so $\tilde{\varphi}(x) = \varphi(1)s = s$. I'm assuming you knew $\varphi(1) = 1$.

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

You are correct; $\varphi(0) = 0$, and so $\tilde{\varphi}(x) = \varphi(1)s = s$. I'm assuming you knew $\varphi(1) = 1$.
Thanks Euge ... that gives me some confidence ...

Yes, knew that $\varphi(1) = 1$ ...

Thanks again ...

Peter

Related to Ring Homomorphisms - Rotman - Theorem 3.33

1. What is a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of rings. Specifically, it maps elements of one ring to corresponding elements in another ring while preserving the ring operations of addition and multiplication.

2. What is the significance of Rotman's Theorem 3.33?

Rotman's Theorem 3.33 states that if a ring homomorphism is a bijection, then it is an isomorphism. This means that a bijective ring homomorphism preserves all of the algebraic properties of the original ring, making it a powerful tool for studying and understanding ring structures.

3. How is Rotman's Theorem 3.33 used in mathematics?

Rotman's Theorem 3.33 is used in mathematics to prove the isomorphism of two rings. This allows for the simplification and comparison of ring structures, making it a useful tool in many areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra and algebraic geometry.

4. What is the difference between a ring homomorphism and a ring isomorphism?

A ring homomorphism preserves the algebraic structure of rings, while a ring isomorphism is a bijective ring homomorphism, meaning it also preserves the underlying set structure of the rings. This means that a ring isomorphism is a stronger condition than a ring homomorphism.

5. Are all ring homomorphisms also ring isomorphisms?

No, not all ring homomorphisms are ring isomorphisms. A ring homomorphism is only an isomorphism if it is a bijection. If a ring homomorphism is not a bijection, it may still preserve the algebraic structure of the rings, but it does not necessarily preserve the underlying set structure.