1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homomorphisms and Calculating Elements

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that ##G## is a cyclic group with generator ##g##, that ##H## is some arbitrary group, and that ##\phi : G \rightarrow H## is a homomorphism. Show that knowing ##\phi (g)### lets you compute ##\phi(g_1)## ##\forall g_1 \in G##

2. Relevant equations

##\phi(g^n) = \phi(\underbrace{g~\star_G~ g~ \star_G~ g ... \star_G~ g}_{n|}) = \underbrace{\phi (g) \star_H \phi(g) \star_H ... \star_H \phi(g)}_{|n|} = \phi(g)^n ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let ##g_1 \in G## be arbitrary. This implies that ##\exists k \in \mathbb{Z}## such that ##g_1 = g^k##.

##\phi(g_1 \star_G g ) = \phi(g_1) \star_H \phi(g) \iff##

##\phi(g^k \star_G g) = \phi(g_1) \star_H \phi(g) \iff##

##\phi(g^{k+1}) = \phi(g_1) \star_H \phi(g) \iff##

##\phi(g)^{k+1} \star_H \phi(g)^{-1} = \phi(g_1) \iff##

##\phi(g)^k = \phi(g_1)##

This seems correct, but I am unsure. If this is correct, though, does this imply that ##H## is also cyclic, where ##\phi(g)## is the generator?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wouldn't it be much simpler just to say ##\phi(g_1)=\phi(g^k)=\phi(g)^k##?? I don't know what all the extra stuff is for. And no, it doesn't mean H is cyclic. It does mean that the image of G under ##\phi## is a cyclic subgroup of H.

4. Nov 14, 2014 #3
    Hmm...yes, it would have been terribly simpler, had I done that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted