Hooke's Law and a Can -- What are the speed and acceleration?

In summary: I have both values. Because the initial conditions do not apply, I would not be able to equal 1/2kx^2 =1/2mv^2 which is what Mister T noted. Thus the "new" equation would be, "1/2kxinital^2" =1/2kxf^2 +1/2mvf^2.And thus solve for vf.You could use vf^2 =vo^2 +2adeltax to find the acceleration, but you would need to know the mass of the can, the length of the spring, and the force applied.
Serella_Madole

Homework Statement

One end of a horizontal spring with force constant (76.0 N/m) is attached to a vertical post. A 4.00-kg can of beans is attached to the other end. The spring is initially neither stretched nor compressed. A constant horizontal force of 57.0 N is then applied to the can, in the direction away from the post.

Part A
What is the speed of the can when the spring is stretched 0.400 m?

Part B
At the instant the spring is stretched 0.400 m, what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block?

Homework Equations

Us = 1/2kx^2
Ke= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I considered setting

1/2kx^2 =1/2mv^2 and solving for "v". I got the answer 1.74m/s which is incorrect. As for part B I considered using the equation F =ma.
57N = 4kg(a) a = 57/4 = 14.25 m/s^2. However that was incorrect as well.

Please assist! I have no idea where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself, is the can at maximum stretch when it is at 0.4 m? That is the interpretation I get from your energy relationship.

rpthomps said:
Ask yourself, is the can at maximum stretch when it is at 0.4 m? That is the interpretation I get from your energy relationship.

I do not think it is at maximum stretch at .4m. I think it can go further. But I am not sure as how to proceed with this.

Is there a way you can determine the maximum stretch?

I think that it is 1/2kx^2. But because it is stretched would it be negative?

Serella_Madole said:
I considered setting

1/2kx^2 =1/2mv^2 and solving for "v". I got the answer 1.74m/s which is incorrect.

That's the speed when the kinetic energy equals the potential energy, but why would you assume those two would be equal? Or were you just hoping it would work and not making that assumption at all?

As for part B I considered using the equation F =ma.
57N = 4kg(a) a = 57/4 = 14.25 m/s^2. However that was incorrect as well.

That would be the acceleration of the can if only the 57 N force is applied, but that's the case only when the spring is applying no force.

Please assist! I have no idea where to go from here.

You haven't really tried to do anything based on anything about the spring and the can. You're just grabbing equations and plugging in numbers. You need to make some assumptions about how 57 N forces, cans, and springs behave. Have you made a sketch and thought about how the forces affect the can's motion? Or alternatively thought about the amount of energy in the system and how it's changing due to the application of the 57 N force?

You have to meet us half way here.

Serella_Madole said:
I think that it is 1/2kx^2. But because it is stretched would it be negative?

If you use energy than you will have two unknowns to worry about. Why don't you use force? Will you be able to stretch this spring forever with a constant force of 57N? What are the limits of the spring?

rpthomps said:
If you use energy than you will have two unknowns to worry about. Why don't you use force? Will you be able to stretch this spring forever with a constant force of 57N? What are the limits of the spring?

Eventually, the spring will need to return back to the equilibrium point where x = 0. Otherwise the object will be deformed and won't be able to return back to it's original state.

your post title states Hooke's Law. Can you use that somehow?

Serela: You should follow Mister T's suggestion, and draw a free body diagram. Or do you feel you have advanced beyond the point where you need to use free body diagrams? What are the horizontal forces acting on the can? What is the force balance on the can associated with the action of these forces?

Chet

Okay, I did draw the diagram as Mister T suggested. I noticed the change in position, because of the force applied the initial conditions (x =0) do not work... So I would need to solve for the new x which will become the x initial, which I believe that is what you, rmthomps, was hinting at.

When I did that I took the Hooke's equation F=kx and just solved for x so, F/k = x. Which I have both values. Because the initial conditions do not apply, I would not be able to equal 1/2kx^2 =1/2mv^2 which is what Mister T noted. Thus the "new" equation would be, "1/2kxinital^2" =1/2kxf^2 +1/2mvf^2.

And thus solve for vf.

For the acceleration equation, would I be able to just use vf^2 =vo^2 +2adeltax?

Serella_Madole said:
Okay, I did draw the diagram as Mister T suggested. I noticed the change in position, because of the force applied the initial conditions (x =0) do not work... So I would need to solve for the new x which will become the x initial, which I believe that is what you, rmthomps, was hinting at.

When I did that I took the Hooke's equation F=kx and just solved for x so, F/k = x. Which I have both values. Because the initial conditions do not apply, I would not be able to equal 1/2kx^2 =1/2mv^2 which is what Mister T noted. Thus the "new" equation would be, "1/2kxinital^2" =1/2kxf^2 +1/2mvf^2.

And thus solve for vf.

For the acceleration equation, would I be able to just use vf^2 =vo^2 +2adeltax?
I still don't see a force balance equation on the can. And I still don't see a correct energy balance. The force balance can be used to derive the energy balance, by you have got to get the force balance correct first. Didn't they teach you how to do force balances in your course?

What is the force that the spring exerts on the can, and, in what direction? What is the external force applied to the can, and, in what direction? What is the net force applied to the can?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I still don't see a force balance equation on the can. And I still don't see a correct energy balance. The force balance can be used to derive the energy balance, by you have got to get the force balance correct first. Didn't they teach you how to do force balances in your course?

What is the force that the spring exerts on the can, and, in what direction? What is the external force applied to the can, and, in what direction? What is the net force applied to the can?

Chet

Opps! The force the spring exerts on the can is leftward which I chose to be negative because the spring is trying to return back to it's on. The external force is in the rightward direction which I chose to be positive.

Serella_Madole said:
Opps! The force the spring exerts on the can is leftward which I chose to be negative because the spring is trying to return back to it's on. The external force is in the rightward direction which I chose to be positive.
So, let's see your force balance equation already.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
So, let's see your force balance equation already.

Chet
-F spring exerts + Fexternal = 0 because afterwards they no longer exert a force on the object.

Serella_Madole said:
-F spring exerts + Fexternal = 0 because afterwards they no longer exert a force on the object.
I don't see ma = m dv/dt in your equation, and I don't see the spring force expressed in terms of k and x.

-F(spring) +F(ext) = ma
-F(spring) +F(ext) = m dv/dt
integrate
-F(spring)x + F(ext)x = mv
v= -fspringx +f(ext)x/m

Serella_Madole said:
1/2kxinital^2" =1/2kxf^2 +1/2mvf^2.

What about the effect of the applied force of 57 N? That's got to make a difference in the way the can moves.

Serella_Madole said:

But you're not interested in what happens then! You're interested in what happens when x = 0.4 m. If in fact the net force were zero, the acceleration would be zero, and you'd have you're answer!

Serella_Madole said:
-F(spring) +F(ext) = ma
integrate
v= -fspringx +f(ext)x/m

v = -kx^2 + Fext (x) / m

Serella_Madole said:
-F(spring) +F(ext) = ma
integrate
v= -fspringx +f(ext)x/m

This is not working, either. You can't integrate a variable force like the spring force in the same way that you integrate a constant force like the 57 N force. You can see that the units don't match in your final result!

Serella_Madole said:
v = -kx^2 + Fext (x) / m

Units don't match!

Mister T said:
Units don't match!

Sorry, I did not see the previous message until after I had posted my response.

The force balance equation you are trying to derive is:
$$-kx+F=m\frac{dv}{dt}$$
Before continuing, do the terms in this equation make sense to you?
After you get back with me, we can continue. Have you learned how to do integration yet?

Chet

Personally, I would have stuck with the energy-based approach to the problem. We have two known forces acting over a known distance. The work done by the two forces can be computed, giving a resulting energy. From this, speed can be computed.

We do not need to integrate anything. The relevant equation already appears in #1.

Likes Serella_Madole
jbriggs444 said:
Personally, I would have stuck with the energy-based approach to the problem. We have two known forces acting over a known distance. The work done by the two forces can be computed, giving a resulting energy. From this, speed can be computed.

We do not need to integrate anything. The relevant equation already appears in #1.
The energy approach is definitely the preferred method for attacking this problem. However, the OP did not even realize that he should be including the work done by the applied force in the energy analysis. So, I thought he could use some review. I was going to work with him to derive then energy balance. If you don't feel that this would be worthwhile, I can see that. Let's see what he comes back with, and maybe you can take over.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The energy approach is definitely the preferred method for attacking this problem. However, the OP did not even realize that he should be including the work done by the applied force in the energy analysis. So, I thought he could use some review. I was going to work with him to derive then energy balance. If you don't feel that this would be worthwhile, I can see that. Let's see what he comes back with, and maybe you can take over.

Chet

Hello, sorry for the late response
Chestermiller said:
The force balance equation you are trying to derive is:
$$-kx+F=m\frac{dv}{dt}$$
Before continuing, do the terms in this equation make sense to you?
After you get back with me, we can continue. Have you learned how to do integration yet?

Chet
Hello, sorry for the late response! I do understand what each of these variables stand for. And I am familiar with integration.

If you multiply both sides of this equation by v = dx/dt, you obtain:
$$-kx\frac{dx}{dt}+F\frac{dx}{dt}=mv\frac{dv}{dt}$$
What do you get if you now integrate with respect to t?

You should get
-Kx2/2 +Fx = mv2/2

Last edited:
Serella_Madole said:
You should get
-Kx2/2 +Fx = mv2
The integration of the right hand side is incorrect. You are missing a factor of 2.

Likes Serella_Madole
Chestermiller said:
The integration of the right hand side is incorrect. You are missing a factor of 2.

Thanks for the correction. I fixed my mistake.

Related to Hooke's Law and a Can -- What are the speed and acceleration?

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that the more a spring is stretched or compressed, the greater the force it exerts.

2. How does Hooke's Law apply to a can?

In the context of a can, Hooke's Law can be used to determine the speed and acceleration of the can as it is launched from a spring-loaded device. The force exerted by the spring on the can will depend on the displacement of the spring, which can be measured and used to calculate the speed and acceleration of the can.

3. How do you calculate the speed of a can using Hooke's Law?

To calculate the speed of a can launched from a spring, you will need to know the force exerted by the spring (determined by its displacement) and the mass of the can. Using the formula F=ma, you can rearrange to solve for acceleration (a=F/m). Then, using the equation v=u+at (where u is the initial velocity, which is assumed to be 0), you can calculate the final speed of the can.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of a can using Hooke's Law?

As mentioned before, the acceleration of the can can be calculated using the formula a=F/m, where F is the force exerted by the spring and m is the mass of the can. This assumes that the only force acting on the can is the force from the spring, and that air resistance can be ignored.

5. What are the limitations of using Hooke's Law to calculate the speed and acceleration of a can?

Hooke's Law assumes that the spring is perfectly elastic and that the force exerted by the spring is directly proportional to its displacement. In reality, there may be other factors at play, such as air resistance, which can affect the speed and acceleration of the can. Additionally, the mass of the can may change as it is launched, which can also affect the calculations. Therefore, the results obtained using Hooke's Law may not be entirely accurate.