Hooke's Law and Work Energy THeorem

In summary: But there is a difference in KE between those two points, so there must be a force (fx) applied to equalise that difference.Almost.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

At a waterpark, sleds with riders are sent along a slippery,
horizontal surface by the release of a large compressed spring. The
spring with force constant and negligible mass
rests on the frictionless horizontal surface. One end is in contact
with a stationary wall. A sled and rider with total mass 70.0 kg are
pushed against the other end, compressing the spring 0.375 m. The
sled is then released with zero initial velocity. What is the sled’s
speed when the spring (a) returns to its uncompressed length and
(b) is still compressed 0.200 m?

Homework Equations

Using Work Energy THeorem

The Attempt at a Solution

For part b) I attemted the equation ... .5 K (x)^2 = 0.5 m (v^2) and i got an answer of 1.5 but the book attempt was different... they used it with the x of A and got the answer of 2.4 m/s ... What my problem?? Kindly Clarify... THANKS A LOT!

Physics news on Phys.org
ehabmozart said:
For part b) I attemted the equation ... .5 K (x)^2 = 0.5 m (v^2)
Use conservation of energy. What's the total energy at any point?

(Setting PE = KE only works in certain cases--such as when all the PE is converted to KE.)

But i applied it in the first case, and i got the correct answer?.. I mean what's wrong with the approach as long as there isn't any friction or resistance??

ehabmozart said:
But i applied it in the first case, and i got the correct answer?.. I mean what's wrong with the approach as long as there isn't any friction or resistance??
It applied in the first case because all the PE was transformed to KE.

Conservation of energy will apply in all cases.

Starting point: Spring fully compressed. What's the spring PE? What's the KE? What's the total energy?

Ending point: Spring compressed by some amount. What's the spring PE? What's the KE? What's the total energy?

Allright, can u clarify it using work energy thorem without reffering to potential energy...

ehabmozart said:
Allright, can u clarify it using work energy thorem without reffering to potential energy...
Work done by the spring = ΔKE of the mass.

Great... So work done by force spring to move to the 0.2 is integral of fx dx from 0 to 0.2 which must equalise the difference in kinetic energy where k initial is zero?

ehabmozart said:
Great... So work done by force spring to move to the 0.2 is integral of fx dx from 0 to 0.2 which must equalise the difference in kinetic energy where k initial is zero?
Almost. The spring moves from x = 0.375 to 0.2 .

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position.

What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance from the equilibrium position.

What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done by a net force on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object.

What is the relationship between Hooke's Law and the Work-Energy Theorem?

Hooke's Law is often used to calculate the work done on a spring, which can then be used to calculate the change in kinetic energy of the object using the Work-Energy Theorem.

What are some real-world applications of Hooke's Law and the Work-Energy Theorem?

Hooke's Law and the Work-Energy Theorem are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. Some examples include calculating the force required for a spring in a car suspension system, predicting the behavior of elastic materials in structures, and understanding the movement of muscles and joints in the human body.