Hookes law: Calculate the work done by compressing a spring

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the work done by compressing a spring by a certain distance. Two solutions are presented, but only one is correct, which is the elastic potential energy equation. The first formula, W = Fd, is not valid due to the spring force being a function of x and therefore requiring an integral to properly calculate work.

Homework Statement

Hookes law: Calculate the work done by compressing a spring by x distance

Homework Equations

W = Fd
Ee = 1/2 k x^2
F = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found two solutions, but only one is correct. I'm confused why it's the second one.

First formula I derived:
W = Fd
F = kx
d = x

Therefore W = kx^2

However, you can also use the elastic potential energy equation which is a modified version of the equation I made which is

W = 1/2 k x^2 - 0

So, why is it the second equation and not the first one? The way I see it, they sort of both are valid. What is wrong with the first one? Work is force * distance, and that's exactly what I'm doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring force is a function of x, so W = Fd is not valid. You will have to do an integral.

1. What is Hookes Law?

Hookes Law is a physical law that states the force required to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. How do you calculate the work done by compressing a spring?

The work done by compressing a spring can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is compressed. This can be represented by the equation W = F * x, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and x is the distance the spring is compressed.

3. What units are used to measure force and distance in Hookes Law?

Force is typically measured in Newtons (N) and distance is measured in meters (m).

4. Can Hookes Law be applied to all types of springs?

Yes, Hookes Law can be applied to all types of springs as long as the spring follows the linear elastic behavior, meaning the force required to stretch or compress the spring is directly proportional to the displacement.

5. What are some real-life applications of Hookes Law?

Hookes Law has many practical applications, including in the design of suspension systems for vehicles, shock absorbers, and measuring devices such as scales and force gauges.