Horizontal and vertical independance

In summary, James' example shows that it is possible to split an object's motion into x, y, and z components. This is done to account for rotation.
phlegmy
hey guys,
i studied "applied maths" in "high school" [the irish version!]
we studied projectile motion and velocity vectors etc,
we worked on the premise that gravity affects only the verticle velocity of the projectile
so that:
for a projectile given an initial velcoity both horizontally and vertically (i and j)
the horizontal component would remain unchanged [obviously diregarding any frictional forces], while the verticle component is subject to change due to gravity.
fine.

now i turn my mind to a pendulum, free to swing both left and right, as well as front to back, and i figure: the left-right motion can be treated seperatly to the front-back motion, each discribing, in that direction,the motion it would otherwise assume were the other direction neglected. and then:

i think surely not!
> i imagine that, in the left-right motion the pendulum is swinging not as a pendulum but rather in full circuls, and very fast. i then reason (rightly or wrongly) that were i to nudge the pendulum in the forward-backward direction that it would not oscillate forwards and backwards but rather be restored to its inital position. similar to the way that a bullet which spins along the axis of its trajectory will not become unstable.

assuming that what i have said is correct [open to correction!] i am left with a conumdrum:
when is it acceptable to split an objects motion into x,y or x,y,z and why
is it something to do with rotation?
or am i missing something else more fundamental.

thanks for your thoughts!
james

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi James,
The difference between your two examples, the projectile and the pendulum, is crucial. In the projectile case only changes in the vertical direction change the energy of the projectile. In the case of the pendulum, movement in either direction will change the energy, because it is constrained to move in a circle. So x and y and not independent in the second case, but are so in the first.

You can see this mathematically if you write the Lagrangians of the two systems.

thats mentz, although you replied in less than an hour and its taken me 10 days to read it!
i see your point.

1. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical independence?

Horizontal independence refers to the lack of correlation between two variables within the same level or category. On the other hand, vertical independence refers to the lack of correlation between two variables in different levels or categories.

2. Why is horizontal independence important in scientific research?

Horizontal independence is important because it allows researchers to study the effects of one variable without interference from other variables within the same category. This helps to ensure that the results of a study are accurate and can be attributed to the variable being studied.

3. How is vertical independence achieved in research studies?

Vertical independence is achieved by randomly assigning participants to different levels or categories of a variable. This helps to ensure that the groups are similar and any differences observed can be attributed to the variable being studied.

4. What are some examples of horizontal and vertical independence in research?

An example of horizontal independence would be studying the effect of different types of exercise on weight loss, while keeping other factors such as diet and age constant. An example of vertical independence would be studying the effect of a new medication on different age groups, while controlling for other variables such as gender and health status.

5. How can violations of horizontal and vertical independence impact research results?

Violations of horizontal and vertical independence can lead to inaccurate or biased results. For example, if a study on the effectiveness of a new drug does not control for other factors such as age or health status, the results may not accurately reflect the true effects of the drug. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially harmful treatments being implemented.