How a Secondary Resistor affects the Transformer Primary Side?

In summary: Whethere or not you understand principles of magnetic coupling, energy conservation forces you to realize that the primary source "sees" 20Ω.
KevMilan
02133.png

Let's assume a 2:1 transformer which has a 100V Source connected on the primary circuit and has no/negligible resistance, on the secondary circuit a 5 Ohms resistor is connected. Using the 'Impedance Transfer/Reflection' method, the primary circuit would act as if there was a 25 Ohms resistor connected to it, which means a current of 4 Amps would be flowing in the Primary.

My question is how the 5 Ohms resistor from the secondary side 'actually' affects/creates a 'resistance-like effect on the primary side? Aren't they separate circuits? Or does it has to do with the magnetic field that links one another?

A simple concise explanation would be very helpful!

Attachments

• 02133.png
    02133.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,693
Physics news on Phys.org
KevMilan said:
Aren't they separate circuits? Or does it has to do with the magnetic field that links one another?

No they are not really separate. They are mutually coupled by the magnetic fields as you guessed.

anorlunda said:
No they are not really separate. They are mutually coupled by the magnetic fields as you guessed.
Thanks for the reply, just like what I thought (they are magnetically linked), but I am just having a hard time on how the 5 Ohms Resistor causes the Primary to act as if there was a 25 Ohms resistor, I'm guessing it has relation to Lenz's Law (Back EMF) from the secondary winding producing an opposing current in the Primary, but there still isn't any clarification and further explanation regarding the question above.

The mutual coupling comes via the time changing currents in the coils. So if the secondary resistance was infinite, then no secondary current and there is no coupling.

So, i isn't that intuitive that changing the secondary resistance changes both secondary and primary currents?

anorlunda said:
The mutual coupling comes via the time changing currents in the coils. So if the secondary resistance was infinite, then no secondary current and there is no coupling.

So, i isn't that intuitive that changing the secondary resistance changes both secondary and primary currents?
Yes
anorlunda said:

Yes, it affects both of them, I just don't understand how the resistor from the secondary creates a resistance like effect in the primary (25 Ohms), the fact that the primary circuit doesn't have any resistor connected to it.

KevMilan said:
Yes, it affects both of them, I just don't understand how the resistor from the secondary creates a resistance like effect in the primary (25 Ohms), the fact that the primary circuit doesn't have any resistor connected to it.

You sound confused. If it affects both of them, how would you describe the effect? Would the effect not look analogous to a resistance in the primary circuit?

KevMilan said:
View attachment 239280

Let's assume a 2:1 transformer which has a 100V Source connected on the primary circuit and has no/negligible resistance, on the secondary circuit a 5 Ohms resistor is connected. Using the 'Impedance Transfer/Reflection' method, the primary circuit would act as if there was a 25 Ohms resistor connected to it, which means a current of 4 Amps would be flowing in the Primary.

My question is how the 5 Ohms resistor from the secondary side 'actually' affects/creates a 'resistance-like effect on the primary side? Aren't they separate circuits? Or does it has to do with the magnetic field that links one another?
The secondary resistance reflected into the primary is 20 ohms, not 25 ohms.

The transformer, containing no resistance in either primary or secondary windings, itself dissipates no power. So in order to conserve energy, the power supplied to the load must equal the power furnished by the primary source.

So V22/R2 = V12/R1. So the primary source MUST "see" R1 = (V1/V2)2R2 = 22R2 = 20Ω.

Whethere or not you understand principles of magnetic coupling, energy conservation forces you to realize that the primary source "sees" 20Ω.

1. How does a secondary resistor affect the voltage on the primary side of a transformer?

A secondary resistor on a transformer will decrease the voltage on the primary side. This is because the resistor creates a voltage drop, reducing the overall voltage that is transferred from the secondary side to the primary side.

2. Can a secondary resistor cause damage to the transformer primary side?

Yes, a secondary resistor can cause damage to the transformer primary side if it is not properly sized or if it fails. The resistor can generate excess heat, which can lead to insulation breakdown and other damage to the primary side of the transformer.

3. How does the resistance of the secondary resistor affect the current on the primary side?

The resistance of the secondary resistor will determine the amount of current that flows through the primary side of the transformer. A higher resistance will result in a lower current, while a lower resistance will result in a higher current.

4. What is the purpose of using a secondary resistor on a transformer?

A secondary resistor is used on a transformer to control the amount of current flowing through the primary side. This can be useful in applications where the load on the secondary side fluctuates, as the resistor can help maintain a stable current on the primary side.

5. How do you calculate the appropriate value for a secondary resistor on a transformer?

The value of the secondary resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, where R=resistance, V=voltage, and I=current. The formula is R=V/I. The appropriate value will depend on the desired current and voltage on the primary side, as well as the transformer's specifications.