How a series & parallel cap works?

In summary, a cap in a series circuit will have a slower "ramping" effect than a cap in a parallel circuit, and both series and parallel caps will filter voltage transients on a line the same.
Pro289
Hi, I have a newbie question regarding caps in series and parallel.

When you apply voltage to a cap in a circuit, is there a difference in the voltage on the other side of the cap between the methods of use above?

Like a cap in series, does it need to be charged fully for the voltage to be seen after the cap? Or will there be a slow rise in voltage? Or is there just instant power after the cap? The same question for a parallel cap. But it seems voltage would just "skip" over a parallel cap and continue on since there's a direct electrical connection to the other end, and there wouldn't be a ramping of voltage.

Could both connection methods be used for "backup" power, so to speak, if the main power is disconnected from the cap?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This reply only in reference to your basic question. To ask this question you already know how resistors work in parallel or series. With caps they work backwards. For example, two 100 ohm resistors in series equal 200 ohms. Two 100 ohm resistors in parallel equal 50 ohms. It is the reverse with caps.

stewartcs said:
This should help you understand a little better...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capac.html

Here is a good analogy as well...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/airtank.html#c1

Those links are fairly informative, but they still didn't answer my question. Let's say I have a circuit with a battery->switch->cap->light. If I turn the switch on, would the light illuminate immediately with full voltage or would you see a slow "ramping" effect as the cap charges? If so, would this be the same for a series cap or a parallel cap?

Also, do both series and parallel caps filter voltage transients on a line the same?

The voltage on the capacitor would "ramp up", approaching the steady state value (the battery voltage) asymptotically (exponentially, in fact). More specifically, if the battery voltage is [itex] V_0 [/itex], the capacitance is [itex]C[/itex], and the resistance of the light bulb is [itex]R[/itex] then the voltage across the capacitor will be given by

[tex] v_C(t) = V_0(1 - e^{-t/RC}) [/tex]

If you like differential equations, then you can verity this. Of course, there will only be a current across the capacitor if its voltage is changing (i.e. during the ramp up phase). More specifically, the current through the cap will be given by:

[tex] i_C(t) = C \frac{dv_C}{dt} = \frac{V_0}{R} e^{-t/RC} [/tex]

So although the voltage across the cap is increasing, it is doing so at an ever decreasing rate, so the current across it decays exponentially. In fact, from this second result, we can see that when the switch is thrown, the light will initially light up at full intensity (as though the cap weren't there), but then it will gradually dim down to nothing.

"Gradually", of course, is misleading. We can see that the current will reach 1/e of its starting value when t = RC. This (RC) is called the time constant, [itex] \tau [/tex]. The circuit probably has a very small time constant. I don't know what the resistance of your typical light bulb is, but let's use values of resistance and capacitance that are common in electronics. Let's say the resistance is on the order of kiloohms, and the capacitance on the order of nanofarads. Then the time constant will be on the order of microseconds, making me wonder if we'd even notice the flash. In fact, I find myself doubting the current will have flown long enough to heat up the filament sufficiently. Can anyone comment on this?

So the light wouldn't "ramp" up, and the cap makes no difference?

Pro289 said:
So the light wouldn't "ramp" up, and the cap makes no difference?

Huh? Umm...no? I think I said in quite a bit of detail what it would do in my previous post. I said that it would start off bright immediately and then would dim down until it was completely unlit (once the cap was charged). I also said that this would happen over such a short timescale that it might not happen at all, or even if it did, we may not perceive it. If anything, the circuit might behave as though the lightbulb weren't there, and it was just the cap.

What is the purpose of using a series or parallel capacitor?

Series and parallel capacitors are used in electronic circuits to store and release electrical energy. They can also be used to filter out unwanted frequencies and stabilize power supply voltage.

What is the difference between a series capacitor and a parallel capacitor?

A series capacitor is connected in a circuit where the capacitors are placed in a line, with one end of each capacitor connected to the other. In a parallel capacitor, the capacitors are connected side by side, with both ends of each capacitor connected to the same points in the circuit.

How does a series capacitor work?

In a series capacitor, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances. This means that the total capacitance is lower than the capacitance of any individual capacitor. The series capacitor also has a higher voltage rating than any individual capacitor, making it useful for high voltage applications.

How does a parallel capacitor work?

In a parallel capacitor, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances. This means that the total capacitance is higher than the capacitance of any individual capacitor. The parallel capacitor also has a lower voltage rating than any individual capacitor, making it useful for low voltage applications.

What are some common applications of series and parallel capacitors?

Series capacitors are commonly used in power factor correction circuits, where they help to improve the efficiency of electrical systems. Parallel capacitors are often used in audio systems to filter out unwanted noise and improve sound quality. Both types of capacitors are also used in various electronic devices and power supplies.