How are lighthouses powered? using cables?

• Thread starter chhitiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cables
In summary: Strontium 90 is a radioisotope that emits a continuous beam of light.RTGs are the most common type of nuclear power generator. They work by using the radioactive decay of uranium to generate electricity. Strontium 90 is a radioisotope that emits a continuous beam of light. Basically, they are like a tiny nuclear power plant! They are really expensive to maintain and operate, but they are reliable and can last for many years.RTGs are the most common type of nuclear power generator. They work by using the radioactive decay of uranium to generate electricity. The downside is that they are a bit more expensive to maintain and operate than other types of nuclear power generators.
chhitiz
how are lighthouses powered? using cables?
could they be powered using wind or tidal energy?
is it cost effective?

Engineering news on Phys.org

The older lighthouses in Russia, USA, and some other countries were powered by RTGs (Radioisotope thermoelectric generators) in remote locations. It works by drawing power from heat generated by the decay of radioactive isotopes with half lives of 20 years or more. They are all being commissioned I guess. I'm not sure if light houses are being used anymore.

Last edited:

Lighthouses are still used.

See the following link.
http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/WA/Cape%20Leeuwin/Cape%20Leeuwin.htm

This one is powered by mains electricity and uses a 1000 watt lamp. It used to use a kerosene lamp. It is not far from a small town, so mains power is the easy way to power it.

Since they are usually built in windy places, wind generators charging batteries or solar power charging batteries should be possible

Last edited by a moderator:

vk6kro said:
Since they are usually built in windy places, wind generators charging batteries or solar power charging batteries should be possible

If local bylaws allow it, and if you can generate the required wattage. An array of ultra-bright LED's might simplify that.

I'm not sure wind would provide an acceptable level of reliability for a light house. They'd have to have a mains power backup at the very least.

I saw a TV show about a lighthouse in the North Sea between Britain and Europe.

It just sits on a rock miles from anywhere. So, I guess it has a diesel generator for powering the light and the rotating mechanism.

Danger said:
If local bylaws allow it, and if you can generate the required wattage. An array of ultra-bright LED's might simplify that.
Check out this bad boy 100W LED
http://www.led-professional.com/content/view/464/56/

waht said:
The older lighthouses in Russia, USA, and some other countries were powered by RTGs (Radioisotope thermoelectric generators) in remote locations. It works by drawing power from heat generated by the decay of radioactive isotopes with half lives of 20 years or more. They are all being commissioned I guess. I'm not sure if light houses are being used anymore.
I didn't know that, that's freakin awesome, a friggin mini nuclear power plant to power a lightbulb! I want one!

famousken said:
I didn't know that, that's freakin awesome, a friggin mini nuclear power plant to power a lightbulb! I want one!

That was my first impression when someone told me.

heres one from wiki, was powered by strontium 90:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Soviet_RTG.jpg

WoW! That's what I call nucs for piece:)

Related to How are lighthouses powered? using cables?

1. How do lighthouses get their power?

Lighthouses are typically powered by electricity, which is generated either on-site or brought in from an external power source through cables.

2. How are the cables connected to the lighthouse?

The cables are connected to the lighthouse through the base, which is typically built with a conduit that allows the cables to pass through and reach the lighthouse.

3. What type of cables are used to power lighthouses?

The type of cables used to power lighthouses varies depending on the location and distance from the power source, but they are typically heavy-duty, weather-resistant cables designed for outdoor use.

4. Do lighthouses have backup power sources in case of power outages?

Yes, lighthouses often have backup power sources such as generators or batteries in case of power outages. This ensures that the light remains operational during emergencies.

5. How often do the cables need to be replaced?

The lifespan of the cables used to power lighthouses varies depending on factors such as weather conditions and maintenance, but they are typically replaced every 10-15 years to ensure reliable power supply.