How can a philosopher know Quantum?

• Quantum
  • Thread starter jamalkoiyess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation revolves around a friend who is a philosopher professor and is looking for resources to learn Quantum Mechanics. The recommend books include Leonard Susskind's "Quantum Mechanics" and "Quantum Mechanics for Dummies", as well as "Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner. However, it is emphasized that learning QM requires a strong understanding of mathematics and the friend should also consider studying linear algebra, calculus, and classical mechanics. The book "Quantum Enigma" is recommended for its exploration of the experimental facts of QM and how it challenges our understanding of the world.
jamalkoiyess
My friend is a philosopher professor and he is searching for a way to know Quantum mechanics since he is very passionate about physics (his field is Aesthetics by the way). What do you recommend as a series of books for him to be able to know a decent level of QM. He has a background in calculus only. Please choose the easiest resources since he is really not mathematical, but he will do all his efforts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Leonard Susskind's "Quantum Mechanics", or "Quantum Mechanics for Dummies", are good.

Likes narcissus_papyra, Demystifier and jamalkoiyess
For someone indulged in the study of Aesthetics, you should point him to Noether's theorem and symmetries in physics. This shows that physics is in fact a highly aesthetical subject. Its beauty, however, gets only revealed with the adequate level of math. Susskind's book is a good choice to begin with.

Likes muscaria and jamalkoiyess
vanhees71 said:
For someone indulged in the study of Aesthetics, you should point him to Noether's theorem and symmetries in physics.
That reminds me of a joke:
Two young theoretical physicists are talking about girls.
- I am dating a perfectly beautiful girl.
- Really?
- Yes, she can be accurately described by only one parameter.

Last edited:
Likes Hypercube, martinbn, UsableThought and 5 others
I recommend "Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner.

Lord Jestocost said:
I recommend "Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner.
Is it technical or descriptive?

Demystifier said:
That reminds me of a joke:
Two young theoretical physicists are talking about girls.
- I am dating a perfectly beautiful girl.
- Really?
- Yes, she can be accurately described by only one parameter.

I did not get the joke :((, Can you please explain it to me ?

Buffu said:
I did not get the joke :((, Can you please explain it to me ?
”Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”
E.B. White

Likes narcissus_papyra, OCR, martinbn and 1 other person
Lord Jestocost said:

But see this page describing what seems to be the book's purpose: http://quantumenigma.com/controversy/

The OP's friend is already a philosopher, yes; but should he be recommended a book that is apparently most interested in speculating about the role of consciousness?

What he wants is a technical intro. He knows all the pop science behind the theory. Please recommend textbooks

Likes UsableThought
jamalkoiyess said:
What he wants is a technical intro. He knows all the pop science behind the theory. Please recommend textbooks

There is an entry Quantum Mechanics in the „Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy“: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm/
Check the bibliography!

Likes UsableThought and Demystifier
eigenmax said:
Leonard Susskind's "Quantum Mechanics", or "Quantum Mechanics for Dummies", are good.
Watched the first lecture
His way of explaining is cool I liked it
But I think I didn't cope with the curriculum he's teaching

narcissus_papyra said:
Watched the first lecture
His way of explaining is cool I liked it
But I think I didn't cope with the curriculum he's teaching
Quantum Physics for Dummies is rather good.

Demystifier said:
”Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.”
E.B. White
E.B. White assumes that the frog was alive in the process of dissection.

That's the problem with theoretical physicists, "hidden assumptions". :-)

Likes narcissus_papyra and martinbn
Demystifier said:
E.B. White

I prefer sacrifice of few frogs to save others.

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier and E.B. White said:
Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.
You and "E. B." might have to do a little more explaining, Demystifier... :oldwink:
Buffu said:
I prefer sacrifice of few frogs to save others.
MathematicalPhysicist said:
E.B. White assumes that the frog was alive in the process of dissection.

That's the problem with theoretical physicists, "hidden assumptions". :-)
OK, now guys... this was just a little pun foking fun poking ... :oldbiggrin:

OCR said:
You and "E. B." might have to do a little more explaining, Demystifier... :oldwink:

OK, now guys... this was just a little pun foking fun poking ... :oldbiggrin:
Thats too many frogs for a physics forum.

Likes narcissus_papyra
Lord Jestocost said:
Have a look at: http://quantumenigma.com/
This is hopeless. They praise the book not to use mathematical formulae. That's the worst you can say about a book on quantum theory. Quantum theory is not possible to be formulated without math, and if philosophers want to have a chance to understand QT they have to learn tha math as anybody else. Usually what philsophers tend to produce with regard to the hard sciences, particularly quantum physics, is bad enough. You shouldn't mislead them by claiming to be able to formulate QT without math!

Likes S.G. Janssens
vanhees71 said:
This is hopeless. They praise the book not to use mathematical formulae. That's the worst you can say about a book on quantum theory. Quantum theory is not possible to be formulated without math, and if philosophers want to have a chance to understand QT they have to learn tha math as anybody else. Usually what philsophers tend to produce with regard to the hard sciences, particularly quantum physics, is bad enough. You shouldn't mislead them by claiming to be able to formulate QT without math!
He wants math. That is all what this post is about. I want you to give me a list of books that he can follow to be able at the end to tackle a quantum mechanics textbook. Linear algebra, calculus, maybe classical mechanics. Anything! As long as the end is a clear , mathematical, and 100% correct understanding of the quantum mechanics.

vanhees71 said:

The intention of the book "Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness" is a simple one: The authors bring out the experimental facts which show that the world is different in its nature than many think (even after they have studied quantum mechanics in detail and know all the math). The authors show that quantum mechanics easily accounts for every single one of these facts, and that it does so completely. That's all, where is the problem?

I have recommended this book as a good start for for a professor of philosophy who is searching for a way to know Quantum mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:
eigenmax said:
Quantum Physics for Dummies is rather good.
If this is what you meant
Then it's indeed fantastic
Thanks
Lord Jestocost said:
There is an entry Quantum Mechanics in the „Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy“: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm/
Check the bibliography!

narcissus_papyra said:
If this is what you meant
Then it's indeed fantastic
Thanks

No, I meant the book, by Steven Holzner, it's far more mathematical than the video, and presents a more complete picture. Hope he enjoys it.

Likes narcissus_papyra
jamalkoiyess said:
Thats too many frogs for a physics forum.
This thread should be moved to biology subforum. :wink:

Likes S.G. Janssens
jamalkoiyess said:
He wants math. That is all what this post is about. I want you to give me a list of books that he can follow to be able at the end to tackle a quantum mechanics textbook. Linear algebra, calculus, maybe classical mechanics. Anything! As long as the end is a clear , mathematical, and 100% correct understanding of the quantum mechanics.

There are a lot of online lecture notes from various universities addressing the mathematics you are looking for. Nevertheless, he should begin with tackling a standard quantum mechanics textbook, e. g., R. Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" or L. Susskind's "Quantum Mechanics". The math skills can be acquired as needed using the appropriate lecture notes.

Well depending on how he wants to approach it, Griffiths and Shankar would be pretty good intros along with "Modern Physics" by Tipler as the starting point. And if he wants a Quantum technical book WITH philosophy then I suggest the books by Michael Epperson and Timothy Eastman. I don't know if your friend knows about Alfred North Whitehead but those books blends the mathematical structures with Whitehead's process philosophy pretty well.

1. How can a philosopher understand the complex concepts of quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a highly technical and mathematical field that requires specialized training and knowledge. Philosophers can gain an understanding of quantum physics through in-depth study and collaboration with physicists.

2. Can philosophical theories be applied to the study of quantum mechanics?

Yes, philosophical theories can be used to interpret and make sense of the implications of quantum mechanics. For example, the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics has philosophical implications about the nature of reality.

3. What role do philosophers play in the development of quantum theory?

Philosophers have contributed to the development of quantum theory by providing critical analysis and interpretations of the theory. They have also raised important questions and debates about the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics.

4. How can philosophical reasoning be used to understand the paradoxes of quantum mechanics?

Philosophical reasoning can be applied to examine the paradoxes and conceptual issues raised by quantum mechanics. Philosophers use logic and critical thinking to analyze and evaluate the different interpretations of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the role of philosophers in understanding quantum mechanics?

While philosophers can offer valuable insights and perspectives on quantum mechanics, their understanding may be limited by their lack of technical training in the field. They may also have different interpretations and philosophical biases that can affect their understanding of quantum mechanics.