How can a recent graduate get into the Solar Industry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of finding a job in the solar energy industry for a recent mechanical engineering graduate with only three years of experience. The individual expresses a desire to work for companies like FirstSolar and NanoSolar, but is discouraged by the requirement of 10+ years of experience. The suggestion is made to either look for companies that do not have this requirement or to gain more experience in their current job before applying to these companies in the future.
jnguyen7
I am a mechanical engineering B.S. graduate 3 years corporate engineering experience. I've developed a passion for solar energy over the past year. However, jobs are short for early-life engineers like me. How do I get started as an engineer in a company like FirstSolar and NanoSolar? They are all asking for 10+ years experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with someone who doesn't require 10+ years of experience...?

Or, get 10+ years of experience in the job you have now and then apply!

(Any company that asks for "n+ years of experience" will certainly consider a person with less experience if they can't get a person with that experience.)

1. How do I start my career in the solar industry?

One of the best ways to start your career in the solar industry is to gain relevant skills and knowledge through education and training. Consider pursuing a degree in renewable energy, engineering, or a related field. You can also gain hands-on experience through internships or volunteering with solar companies or organizations.

2. What job opportunities are available in the solar industry for recent graduates?

Recent graduates can find job opportunities in various areas of the solar industry, such as solar panel installation, system design and engineering, project management, sales and marketing, and research and development. There are also opportunities in related industries, such as energy storage and electric vehicle technology.

3. How can I stand out as a recent graduate in the competitive solar industry?

To stand out in the competitive solar industry, it is important to have a strong understanding of solar technology and industry trends. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or projects, networking with professionals in the industry, and continuously updating your skills and knowledge can make you a more competitive candidate.

4. Are there any specific certifications or licenses that are necessary to work in the solar industry?

While specific certifications and licenses may vary depending on the job role and location, some commonly required certifications in the solar industry include the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) certification, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) safety training, and electrician's license. It is important to research the requirements for your desired job and location.

5. How can I stay updated on developments and advancements in the solar industry?

The solar industry is constantly evolving, and staying updated on developments and advancements is crucial to a successful career. You can stay updated by following industry news and publications, attending conferences and events, and networking with professionals in the industry. Additionally, continuing education and training can help you stay ahead of the curve.