How can Gauss value be used to calculate magnetic force in Newtons?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
MagElectPhys
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm buying magnets for a required experiment in my magnetic and electricity physics class. The supplier gives to important pieces of information: BrMax: 3850 gauss and Pull Force: 33lbs. I was wondering if there is a relatively simple formula so that I can calculate the force of the magnet at point x fromt he magnet using the gauss value. Essentially, I want to calculate the force of the magnet in Newtons. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MagElectPhys said:
Hi, I'm buying magnets for a required experiment in my magnetic and electricity physics class. The supplier gives to important pieces of information: BrMax: 3850 gauss and Pull Force: 33lbs. I was wondering if there is a relatively simple formula so that I can calculate the force of the magnet at point x fromt he magnet using the gauss value. Essentially, I want to calculate the force of the magnet in Newtons. Thanks.

Divide pounds by .2248 and it will yield Newtons.

33 pounds / .2248 = 146.797153 Newtons



Multiplying Newtons by .2248 yields pounds.
 
Yes, I understandt hat but I want to know how to use Gauss to determine force in Newtons, if possible.