Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How can I access event data for LHCb calorimeters?

1. Nov 22, 2017 #1
    I want to do a project using machine learning on the calorimeter event data of the LHCb. How can I access this data? Is it very difficult to navigate your way through the source code on your own?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Join the LHCb collaboration and ask your supervisor.

If LHCb decides to make calorimeter data public, they will provide tools and guides how to work with it, but as far as I know that didn’t happen so far.

Why did you choose calorimeters, and why LHCb?

4. Nov 22, 2017 #3
    I forgot to mention that I was working with my supervisor and he can give me access, but he made it clear that he won't help me understand the code. He was the one who chose calorimeters and LHCb. I just need to know if once I have access there is any way I can make sense of it if I have no help. If not, I'll choose a different master's thesis.

5. Nov 22, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

If your supervisor won't help you with the task, choose a different task (or, better, choose a different supervisor). You can't expect a supervisor to go through the software with you line by line, but some advice which tool to use and where it is documented should be given.

LHCb has software to study calorimeter signals. I don't know what exactly the idea is and the tools you need will depend on that.

6. Nov 22, 2017 #5
    Actually he said he can't even tell me where it is documented because he's never worked on what he wants me to do, he just wants me to figure it all out on my own. So do you think I should choose a different project with a different supervisor?

7. Nov 23, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Why would he be your supervisor if he doesn't do any supervision?

I don't know you, I don't know your supervisor, how difficult it would be to change that, or all the other things to consider here, so it is difficult to give advice, but I would at least consider that option.

8. Nov 23, 2017 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This.

Additionally, there is the HEP culture. Most experiments do not respond favorably to requests like "Now that you've built the detector, debugged the detector, took the data, calibrated it, filtered and processed it, now I'd like a copy of it to analyze myself."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted