How can i calculate the attached integral?

• Thread starter hokhani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate an integral that has been attached as a zip file. There is concern about opening zip files on the forum, so it is suggested to type out the integral or use \LaTeX to display it. Different methods for solving the integral are proposed, including using long division and partial fractions. The conversation also touches on how to write equations using \LaTeX typesetting on the forum.
hokhani
How can i calculate the attached integral?

Attachments

• integral.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 182
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Most people on PhysicsForums are understandably leery of opening a zip file. Maybe if you could type your integral out for us we'd be more likely to look at it.

My thoughts exactly.

It might be a decent idea to disallow executable files from being attached?

Please type out the integral or use [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] to display mathematics.

ok
excuse me
i typed it here

∫(x^(2 ) dx)/(x^2+a)

You should be able to use long division to get the function in integrable form.

Or:
[tex]\frac{x^2}{x^2+ a}= \frac{x^2+ a- a}{x^2+ a}= \frac{x^2+ a}{x^2+ a}-\frac{a}{x^2+ a}= 1- \frac{a}{x^2+a}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Or:
[tex]\frac{x^2}{x^2+ a}= \frac{x^2+ a- a}{x^2+ a}= \frac{x^2+ a}{x^2+ a}-\frac{a}{x^2+ a}= 1- \frac{a}{x^2+a}[/tex]

I'd never thought of that until you posted a similar expansion in the homework forums. It's really quite elegant compared to long division.

thanks very much

I can't calculate this integral:
∫dx/((1-x)(1+x^2))
please guid me
thanks

For this one you're going to need to use partial fractions. That is find A, B, and C such that:

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-x)(1+x^2)} = \frac{A}{1-x} + \frac{Bx+C}{1+x^2}[/tex]

You can multiply both sides by (1-x)(1+x^2), and then equate the coefficients of powers of x to get a system of equations that you can solve.

Thank you Mis Char Limit
question:
how can i write equations ?

hokhani said:
how can i write equations ?

The forum has support for [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] typesetting. A guide is available here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951

You can click on the [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] images to see the code used to produce them.

Last edited by a moderator:

HallsofIvy said:
Or:
This is so beautiful!

1. How do I identify the boundaries of the integral?

The boundaries of an integral are typically given in the problem or can be determined by the limits of the function being integrated. Look for any given values for x or y, or consider the domain and range of the function to determine the boundaries.

2. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific boundaries and will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral has no boundaries and will give a general equation. Definite integrals are used to find the area under a curve, while indefinite integrals are used to find the original function.

3. How do I choose the appropriate integration technique?

The appropriate integration technique depends on the form of the function being integrated. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to identify the form of the function and choose the appropriate technique accordingly.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating integrals?

Some common mistakes when calculating integrals include forgetting to include the constant of integration, errors in algebraic manipulation, and forgetting to change the limits of integration when using substitution. It is important to carefully check all steps and double check the final answer.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, many scientific and graphing calculators have built-in integration functions that can quickly solve integrals. However, it is important to still understand the process and be able to solve integrals by hand to check for accuracy. Additionally, not all integrals can be solved using a calculator.