How to calculate standard deviation from the delay?

I am trying to calculate the unit vector and standard deviation of the signal. I hope everyone can give me ideas.

Here is my scenario:

I have 2 rx channels: - f is channel 1 with the length 1x256 complex, then FFT. - g is channel 2 with the length 1x256 complex, then FFT. - from f and g, I can calculate the spectrum density S_fg = f * conj(g), with the length 1x256 complex

S_fg = f * conj(g)
t_0 = 1 / f_0;
r_0 = t_0 / (2 * pi);
delay = angle(S_fg) * r_0 * 1e12; % in pico second
d = median(delay);

since I have those parameters, How can i calculate the unit vector (x,y), and standard deviation?

The unit vector maybe calculated by the equation:
x = 1*cos(delay); % 1x256
y = 1*sin(delay); % 1x256

but I do not know how to get the standard deviation?

Hope anyone can help?

Answers and Replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
I think you have gone too far. Find the delays, x, then accumulate the sums of x and of x2.
For i = 1 to 256
Sum_x += x(i)
Sum_xx += x(i)2
Next i

The average delay is; mean_delay = Sum_x / n
The sample standard deviation is; Ssd = √( (Sum_xx – (sum_x)2 / n ) / (n – 1) )

Likes Nate Duong, jim hardy and dlgoff
I think you have gone too far. Find the delays, x, then accumulate the sums of x and of x2.
For i = 1 to 256
Sum_x += x(i)
Sum_xx += x(i)2
Next i

The average delay is; mean_delay = Sum_x / n
The sample standard deviation is; Ssd = √( (Sum_xx – (sum_x)2 / n ) / (n – 1) )
@Baluncore: I agree with your equations, is it gonna be the same when I calculate for y and xy values?
The average delay is; mean_delay = Sum_y / n
The sample standard deviation is; Ssd = √( (Sum_yy – (sum_y) / n ) / (n – 1) )

Baluncore
Science Advisor
The sample standard deviation is; Ssd = √( (Sum_yy – (sum_y) / n ) / (n – 1) )
Don't forget to square the Sum_y in the Ssd equation. (sum_y)2 / n.

The application to independent x and y axes is not a problem.
The resulting means Mx and My make a mean vector M. Likewise, SDx and SDy make an SD vector.
I have not thought through the signal implications of ∑(xy) and ∑(x2y2), but I see no reason why it cannot be done.

The mean and SD equations I gave are the same as those used in HPs RPN calculators by the ∑+ and ∑– key functions. Counting the number of samples n, and the accumulation of ∑x, ∑x2, ∑y and ∑y2 can all be done for the independent x and y axes in a single pass. The method has the huge advantage of not needing to store the input data set until the mean is known.

Likes Nate Duong
Don't forget to square the Sum_y in the Ssd equation. (sum_y)2 / n.

The application to independent x and y axes is not a problem.
The resulting means Mx and My make a mean vector M. Likewise, SDx and SDy make an SD vector.
I have not thought through the signal implications of ∑(xy) and ∑(x2y2), but I see no reason why it cannot be done.

The mean and SD equations I gave are the same as those used in HPs RPN calculators by the ∑+ and ∑– key functions. Counting the number of samples n, and the accumulation of ∑x, ∑x2, ∑y and ∑y2 can all be done for the independent x and y axes in a single pass. The method has the huge advantage of not needing to store the input data set until the mean is known.
@Baluncore: thank you very much for this thread, Baluncore !