How to calculate the time delay based on a function of antenna angle?

In summary, the student is using a spectrum analyzer to collect data from four chosen TV stations and is trying to calculate the angle between the transmitter and receiver antennas using an equation. They have also collected data such as spectrum and delay using Matlab. They are unsure how to calculate the time delay and determine the different angles between two transmitters. They also mention having plots with labeled axes and ask for clarification on their question. The student is trying to find their location through triangulation.
Nate Duong
Hi everyone, I am a new student who is studying on collecting data from TV signal. I hope everyone can help me for ideas.
I am having spectrum analyzer which can define a TV station around me, so I chose 4 stations WHUT-TV [584MHz 590MHz], WPXN-TV [590MHz 596MHz], WTTG [60 MHz 608MHz], and WNVC [530MHz 536MHz].

Since I define those stations and can be easily to know location of those base on the FCC database (latitude , longitude, height, wavelength, channel, radius range, distance between stations, distance between my location and each station … ), then I can calculate the angle between TX antenna from the stations and RX antenna from my location (using equation: angle = arctan(height of TX – height of RX)/ distance of 2 antenna) I am not sure this is a right or wrong equation?

At my location, I also collected data such as: spectrum, and the delay for 10 seconds each time scan in by turning circle the antenna (0, 30, 60, …, 300, 330), using Matlab to plot it out to see the behavior of the signals.

Since I had that information which I needed, I am trying to calculate the time delay but I do not how? And how to determine different angle between 2 different transmitters? And if I do not know the direction, how I can estimate different angle between 2 antennas?
I hope everyone can help me to understand more details.

I also have some plots that I collected data and calculated spectrum and delay from Matlab.

If you still confuse my question, please let me know, I am happy to explain.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• delay_90.jpg
    delay_90.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 453
  • spec_90.jpg
    spec_90.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 408
  • delay_330.jpg
    delay_330.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 479
  • spect_330.jpg
    spect_330.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 430
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nate Duong said:
Hi everyone, I am a new student who is studying on collecting data from TV signal. I hope everyone can help me for ideas.
I am having spectrum analyzer which can define a TV station around me, so I chose 4 stations WHUT-TV [584MHz 590MHz], WPXN-TV [590MHz 596MHz], WTTG [60 MHz 608MHz], and WNVC [530MHz 536MHz].

Since I define those stations and can be easily to know location of those base on the FCC database (latitude , longitude, height, wavelength, channel, radius range, distance between stations, distance between my location and each station … ), then I can calculate the angle between TX antenna from the stations and RX antenna from my location (using equation: angle = arctan(height of TX – height of RX)/ distance of 2 antenna) I am not sure this is a right or wrong equation?

At my location, I also collected data such as: spectrum, and the delay for 10 seconds each time scan in by turning circle the antenna (0, 30, 60, …, 300, 330), using Matlab to plot it out to see the behavior of the signals.

Since I had that information which I needed, I am trying to calculate the time delay but I do not how? And how to determine different angle between 2 different transmitters? And if I do not know the direction, how I can estimate different angle between 2 antennas?
I hope everyone can help me to understand more details.

I also have some plots that I collected data and calculated spectrum and delay from Matlab.

If you still confuse my question, please let me know, I am happy to explain.

Thank you very much.
Can you show us a diagram of the TX antenna positions and your RX antenna position? And what do you mean by "height" of the antennas? And what "delay" are you working with? Delay from what to what?

And on your plots, it would help to label both axes with the variable being plotted and the units. Thanks. :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you show us a diagram of the TX antenna positions and your RX antenna position? And what do you mean by "height" of the antennas? And what "delay" are you working with? Delay from what to what?

And on your plots, it would help to label both axes with the variable being plotted and the units. Thanks. :smile:

@berkeman : the position of the WHUT-TV [584MHz 590MHz] TX antenna is : 38°57'1"N , 77°04'47"W and the RX antenna is 38°53' 17''N , 77°10'49''W.
I mentioned the height of antenna because we can calculate the angle of 2 antenna (by searching ideal on google) so we need the height.

The delay mean "time delay". because of the multi_path signal (reflecting from building, cars, ... ) therefore we have the delay to get all truth signal.

I have the hardware which included 2 RX antenna, (2 channels), when I collect the data, channel 1 will give me f(w) value, channel 2 will give me g(w) value (f and g are complex value). Since I have those, I can calculate the spectrum S_fg = f(w) * conj(g(w)).

Also I have attached previous plots with title and label, a plot with single channel.

There is no way of ensuring that the transmissions from two TV transmitters are synchronous so there is no way of finding relative delays from two ordinary broadcast transmitters..
Are you trying to find your location by triangulation? It isn't clear. If you could draw a diagram, it would give us a clue about what you actually want to achieve.

Likes berkeman

1. How do you determine the function of the antenna angle for time delay calculation?

The function of the antenna angle can be determined by using the antenna's radiation pattern, which shows the direction and strength of the antenna's signal. By analyzing the radiation pattern, the function of the antenna angle can be determined.

2. What is the formula for calculating time delay based on the function of the antenna angle?

The formula for calculating time delay based on the function of the antenna angle is t = d / c * sin(θ), where t is the time delay, d is the distance between the transmitter and receiver, c is the speed of light, and θ is the angle of the antenna.

3. How does the antenna angle affect the time delay calculation?

The antenna angle directly affects the time delay calculation as it determines the direction in which the signal is transmitted and received. A change in the antenna angle will result in a change in the distance between the transmitter and receiver, thus affecting the time delay.

4. What other factors should be considered when calculating time delay based on the function of the antenna angle?

Other factors that should be considered include the signal frequency, the type and design of the antenna, and any obstacles or interference that may affect the signal. These factors can impact the accuracy of the time delay calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the function of the antenna angle for time delay calculation?

Yes, there are limitations to using the function of the antenna angle for time delay calculation. This method assumes a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver and does not take into account any other factors that may affect the signal. Additionally, it may not be accurate for non-directional or multi-directional antennas.