How can I calculate the strength of a beer can / soda can?

• Thread starter Mihai Ilie
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I am doing a project which involves making furniture out of beer/soda cans but I need to do some calculations for it.
I know the can can hold around 52 Kg or even more based on experimental results but is there any way to find out with some formulas?
I found it tricky because of the shape of the can...

Edit: The cans are empty.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

-

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am doing a project which involves making furniture out of beer/soda cans but I need to do some calculations for it.
I know the can can hold around 52 Kg or even more based on experimental results but is there any way to find out with some formulas?
I found it tricky because of the shape of the can...

Edit: The cans are empty.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

-
What question are you asking?

What have you tried?

I am asking if there is any way to calculate the strength of a empty beer / soda can based on the thickness of the wall or shape or something.

I tried looking for formulas for hollow tubes because I thought it would be similar but I couldn't get anything.

If there is no solution to this, I can consider for example that the can is a cylinder which can hold 50kg and add more cylinders next to each other in a square shape and try to determine the distributed weight they can all hold. Does the weight it can hold stack with each cylinder I add, like two cylinders can hold 100kg since one holds 50kg?
Are there any calculations I can do for that?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am asking if there is any way to calculate the strength of a empty beer / soda can based on the thickness of the wall or shape or something.

I tried looking for formulas for hollow tubes because I thought it would be similar but I couldn't get anything.

If there is no solution to this, I can consider for example that the can is a cylinder which can hold 50kg and add more cylinders next to each other in a square shape and try to determine the distributed weight they can all hold. Does the weight it can hold stack with each cylinder I add, like two cylinders can hold 100kg since one holds 50kg?
Are there any calculations I can do for that?
The title of the thread has the word "resistance". Strength would be a better word. Also, I see that you're new here: You should always include all pertinent information in the body of the Original Post of a tread, no matter what is included in the title.

By the way; Welcome to PF !

The title of the thread has the word "resistance". Strength would be a better word. Also, I see that you're new here: You should always include all pertinent information in the body of the Original Post of a tread, no matter what is included in the title.

By the way; Welcome to PF !

Alright, thank you for the info. :D