1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I code this?

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    I have the following problem:

Suppose I have a tree of data as follows (Labels represent the branches of the tree, Nodes represent data "leaves" contained in the branches):

Label1
    Node1
    Node2
    Label2
    Node3
    Label3
    Node4
    Node5
    Label4
    Node6

I want to move every "label" or "branch" of the tree that contains only one "node" or "leaf" into the highest level of the tree and delete that branch. I basically want to remove the branches that contain one leaf and move the data from that leaf into the highest level of the tree. So for the example I have, I would like it to become the following:

Label1
    Node1
    Node2
    Node3
    Node6
    Label3
    Node4
    Node5

What is the best way to code such a problem, and would any one language be suitable for this task? The data I have is in an excel file so I suppose I could do it in there but I'm looking for a more elegant way to do it, preferably in Python/Perl/Java/MATLAB. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2

zyh

i't very hard to understand your question, So , I draw two pictures to demostrate your question.

The original tree is like this:
    [​IMG]

After moving the single node to the first level and delete the related nodes.
    [​IMG]

I think it's very easy to do with some algorithms in " data structure" but, if you are manipulating Excel File, it's better to use Matlab...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?