Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I collect power from a magnetic field?

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    Im think of making a device that could harness power from a magnetic field, I hardly know any physics. Now my problem is how or what can I use or make to collect the energy from the magnetic field and turn it into power? and so it can run from a solar panel or wind energy?

plz help looking for ideas if possible to make ty.

Atlantian.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF.

Your questions do not make much sense. What magnetic field? For example, an electric generator converts mechanical energy to electrical energy using a magnetic field: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_generator

And what does this have to do with solar and wind energy?

Perhaps you could rephrase your questions?

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

A static magnetic field doesn't have any power. You can of course take magnetic stuff which is a long way from a magnet, move it closer and extract the power, but once that's used up you have to find more stuff, and you can't put the original stuff back without supplying the energy again, regardless of the level of ingenuity involved in the mechanism.

For an analogy, consider the gravitational field of the Earth. You can't extract power from that either. You can of course let the sun move water to a high reservoir then let it fall under gravity through a hydroelectric plant, but then you are not extracting energy from the gravitational field but rather from the sun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook