How can I convert watt-hrs per gallon to watts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tacojohn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Watts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
tacojohn
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to figure out how to convert watt-hrs per gallon to watts. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!
Thanks. ^_^
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
watt-hours is a unit of energy. Watts are a unit of power - so one watt for one hour would be a watt-hour
 
1 gallon of gasoline contains about 120 million btu of energy. 1 kilowatt-hour of energy is equivalent to 3.6 million btu. So 1 gallon of gasoline contains about 33.3 kilowatt-hours of energy.
 
Well I'm converting a car's power to watts, knowing the mpg at a specific mph and watts-hr per gallon. So I'm slightly confused because if read that you can not change watt-hr to watts?

Can you shed some light on this for me?
 
mpg and mph gives you gallons/hour = power
If you convert gallons into watt hours then you get power in watts