Can I Use 500W Voltage Converter on 110-127V Appliance?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greenarrow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    converter voltage
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Greenarrow
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I am bit rusty on my physics. I hope some of you can help me and check if what I have done is correct.

I have an appliance which is rated for a voltage range of 110-127 volts, drawing 4.5 amps. I would like to use it on 220 volts using a 500 Watts converter. However, I just wanted to make sure that my calculation are correct so that I don't end up smoking the appliance or the converter or both.

This is how I went about figuring it out.
Power = volts x amps
Therefore; the power rating of this appliance is between 495 Watts (110 x 4.5) to 572 Watts (127 x 4.5).

So, I have a pretty high chance of burning out that voltage converter!
Am I right?

If so, how do you figure out what is a suitable rating for a power converter for this appliance? I know that power surges temporarily when turned on/off.

Thank you all.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Greenarrow said:
I am bit rusty on my physics. I hope some of you can help me and check if what I have done is correct.

I have an appliance which is rated for a voltage range of 110-127 volts, drawing 4.5 amps. I would like to use it on 220 volts using a 500 Watts converter. However, I just wanted to make sure that my calculation are correct so that I don't end up smoking the appliance or the converter or both.

This is how I went about figuring it out.
Power = volts x amps
Therefore; the power rating of this appliance is between 495 Watts (110 x 4.5) to 572 Watts (127 x 4.5).

So, I have a pretty high chance of burning out that voltage converter!
Am I right?

If so, how do you figure out what is a suitable rating for a power converter for this appliance? I know that power surges temporarily when turned on/off.

Thank you all.
It probably won't burn out, but the output voltage will sag and your appliance will probably not work right.

Just go with a 2x factor -- use a 1000W converter.