How can I determine the voltage across a 6k ohm resistor using Ohm's Law?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dortec
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
dortec
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Can someone please help me with this problem?? I tried kcl, kvl, and nothing is working... the voltage across the 6k ohm resistor should be equal to 6 volts! but I am never able to get this answer.
please help

problem: Determine the voltage across the resister with 6 k(ohms)..
 
Attachments
  • As.jpg
    As.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you read the first post in this forum (the FAQ)? It says:

"1) Did you show your work? Homework helpers will not assist with any questions until you've shown your own effort on the problem. Remember, we help with homework, we don't do your homework. We already passed those classes, it's your turn to do so. "
 
man, I've been working all day long yesterday with the problem. I've already told you i used kvl and kcl on the nodes and nothing worked, i tried changing the voltage source into a current source and still it didnt work.. i tried finding equivalent resistors .. and still .. the same thing, I am never getting a right answer.. so can u please help?
 
Just don't say say what you did.
SHOW us the equations so we know where you went wrong.
 
anyways if someone is willing to help just do please. and don't ask to add my work.. because I've already told u wat i did..
 
Prob.PNG


See the diagram above.

I tried this and got the right answer.

Voltage V is the voltage across the current generator. I1 is the current going left from there towards the 8 Volt supply.

I put the voltage V equal to two things containing I1. Just Ohms Law.
These are then equal to each other so you can work out I1.

Once you know that you can work out the voltages.