Basic circuit problem -- Resistor network and a voltage source

Homework Statement

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...adjusted-va-equals-60-v-find-value-r-q8083343

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I attached a pdf file with the problem. My question is, for the lower right loop, why is the equation that they have valid? I worked the problem, but the equation that I got for that loop is...

voltage of 180 ohm + voltage of 30 ohm + voltage of 12 ohm + voltage of 18 ohm =0. so the voltage for the 180ohm, is -180V, but they have a positive 180V. How did they got that?

Attachments

• Week1_SampleProblem4_Theory (6).pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,729

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...adjusted-va-equals-60-v-find-value-r-q8083343

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I attached a pdf file with the problem. My question is, for the lower right loop, why is the equation that they have valid? I worked the problem, but the equation that I got for that loop is...

voltage of 180 ohm + voltage of 30 ohm + voltage of 12 ohm + voltage of 18 ohm =0. so the voltage for the 180ohm, is -180V, but they have a positive 180V. How did they got that?

I just noted something. Does the direction of the current affects the signs (+ or -)? For example, if i have a KVL with a loop going clockwise, and when it reaches a resistor, that has a current going in the opposite direction (to the left), does that matter? If a kvl with a loop going clockwise hits the + sign of a resistor, will it always have a + sign regardless of the direction of the current on that resistor?

analogdesign
Science Advisor
Yes the direction of the current affects the sign. Typically you assume a direction and if you're wrong you'll get a negative answer. It's as simple as that.

Yes the direction of the current affects the sign. Typically you assume a direction and if you're wrong you'll get a negative answer. It's as simple as that.

but if a keep the negative answer, I get a different result?

analogdesign
Science Advisor
No, the negative answer just means the current goes in the opposite direction from what you initially assumed. Remember current is a vector quantity with a magnitude and a direction.

look at this picture from my book. In this example, what you said is correct, the assumed direction of current affects the sign. But on the other picture that i posted, they are not doing this. I think they are using a counterclockwise loop for the lower left loop in the other picture, but that should not matter. I used a clockwise direction and i got a negative answer, they used a counterclockwise direction, and they got a positive.

Attachments

• 20180213_194110 (1).jpg
    20180213_194110 (1).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 342
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Remember current is a vector quantity with a magnitude and a direction.
I agree with your explanation of the negative current in OP's answer, but current is NOT a vector.