How can I find the characteristic function of a bivariate gaussian distribution?

In summary, the conversation focused on researching Multivariate distributions and deriving the characteristic function of a bivariate distribution of a gaussian. The person encountered a dead end in their calculations and asked for assistance on finding a solution. They also mentioned looking at the Wolfram Mathworld website and discussed a potential solution involving substitutions and cross product terms.
steven187
Hi all,

Im currently researching into Multivariate distributions, in particular I am trying to derive the characteristic function of the bivariate distribution of a gaussian. While knowing that a gaussian density function cannot be integrated how is it possible to find the characteristic function. I have been working on it but I keep bumping into a dead end. The following is what I did in the most recent dead end: (does anybody know why the latex thing aint working? I havnt been on here for a while)

so I have a double integral of the

exp{i*x*t_x+i*y*t_y}*(joint density function)

then I did the substitutions
u=x-m_x
and
v=y-m_y

I then simplified it down such that I get the following in the exponential expression

u^2*s_y^2-2*(si)*u*v*s_x*s_y+v^2*s_x^2

where si is the correlation coefficient, the problem is I can't complete the square because of the existence of si, would anybody know what I would need to do?

I had looked at Wolfram Mathworld website, its very interesting how it uses Eulers formula but isn't there any other way of doing it?

Regards

Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
let w=au+bv and z=bu-av, where a^2+b^2=1. There will be some value of a where there will not be a cross product term for wz. Good luck!

To find the characteristic function of a bivariate Gaussian distribution, you can use the definition of the characteristic function, which is the expected value of the exponential of a complex-valued random variable. In this case, the random variable is (x,y), and the characteristic function is given by:

φ(t) = E[e^(itx+ity)] = ∫∫e^(itx+ity)f(x,y)dxdy

Where f(x,y) is the joint density function of the bivariate Gaussian distribution, and t is a complex number.

To solve this integral, you can use the properties of the Gaussian distribution, which states that the joint density function can be written as:

f(x,y) = (1/(2πσ_xσ_y√(1-ρ^2)))e^(-(1/(2(1-ρ^2)))(x^2/σ_x^2+y^2/σ_y^2-2ρxy/(σ_xσ_y)))

Where σ_x and σ_y are the standard deviations of x and y, and ρ is the correlation coefficient.

Substituting this into the integral, we get:

φ(t) = (1/(2πσ_xσ_y√(1-ρ^2)))∫∫e^(itx+ity-e^(-(1/(2(1-ρ^2)))(x^2/σ_x^2+y^2/σ_y^2-2ρxy/(σ_xσ_y))))dxdy

To solve this integral, you can use the properties of the exponential function and the fact that the integral of e^(-ax^2+bx+c) is √(π/a)e^(b^2/4a+c).

After some algebraic manipulation, you should be able to get the characteristic function in the form:

φ(t) = e^(im_xt+im_yt-1/2(t^2σ_x^2+t^2σ_y^2+2ρt^2σ_xσ_y))

Where m_x and m_y are the means of x and y. This is the characteristic function of a bivariate Gaussian distribution, and it can also be written as:

φ(t) = e^(-(1/2)(t^TΣt))

Where Σ is the covariance matrix of the bivariate Gaussian distribution, given by:

Σ = [σ_x^2

What is a characteristic function?

A characteristic function is a mathematical function that describes the properties of a probability distribution. It provides a way to describe the distribution by its moments, such as mean, variance, and skewness.

What is the purpose of a characteristic function?

The purpose of a characteristic function is to provide a concise way to describe the properties of a probability distribution. It allows for easy calculation of moments and can be used to identify different types of distributions.

How is a characteristic function different from a probability density function?

A characteristic function is a mathematical function, whereas a probability density function is a graphical representation of a probability distribution. A characteristic function describes the properties of a distribution, while a probability density function shows the relative likelihood of different outcomes.

What are the advantages of using characteristic functions?

Characteristic functions have several advantages, including their ability to describe higher moments of a distribution, their use in identifying different types of distributions, and their ability to be transformed using mathematical operations.

How can characteristic functions be used in practical applications?

Characteristic functions have many practical applications in fields such as statistics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as stock prices, weather patterns, and customer behavior. They can also be used in statistical tests and simulations.