Particle Displacement - Integration

In summary, the body moves with a velocity of 3 m/s, and at 3 seconds it is momentarily at rest. It has traveled a total of 13 m during that time.
Noir

Homework Statement

the velocity v m/s of a body moving in a straight line is given by v = 3t^2 - 4t - 4. if the body has an initial displacement of 3 m from O, find:
*a. the displacement and acceleration at any time t s;
*b. the time when the body is momentarily at rest;
*c. the distance traveled in the first three seconds.

Homework Equations

Common Integration

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I can do a) and b ) without any troubles. It's c I'm having a problem with. I can do it with a Velocity vs Time graph (Find the area underneath) and just use a number line. Except I can't find a relationship between time and distance. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you find the displacement as a function of time?

I integrated the velocity function and found a displacement equation;
d(t) = t^3 - 2t^2 -4t + 3.
Except this gives displacement, not distance. Thats why I'm stuck :(

I can't remember the first three seconds mean in high school. But just integration time from o to 3(0r maybe 2).

What's the difference between the displacement and the distance?

enricfemi said:
I can't remember the first three seconds mean in high school. But just integration time from o to 3(0r maybe 2).
It gives -3 when the answer is 13m.

Cyosis said:
What's the difference between the displacement and the distance?
"Distance is the scalar value of how far an object has traveled regardless of direction.
Displacement is the vector value of how far an object has been displaced, meaning how far is it from where it started. "

Noir said:
I integrated the velocity function and found a displacement equation;
d(t) = t^3 - 2t^2 -4t + 3.
Except this gives displacement, not distance. Thats why I'm stuck :(

you can know the displacement d(0) while t=0 from the expression. and in the same way, the displacement while t=3. of course you can calculate the distance.

Distance and Displacement are different. If I sub in 3 for t in the displacement equation I get 0. Can you explain what you said with an equation?

Noir said:
"Distance is the scalar value of how far an object has traveled regardless of direction.
Displacement is the vector value of how far an object has been displaced, meaning how far is it from where it started. "

that's it. just minus them

Noir said:
Distance and Displacement are different. If I sub in 3 for t in the displacement equation I get 0. Can you explain what you said with an equation?

ok, i have figured out your problem.
if u sub in 3 into the equation, it turns out to be 0. what does it mean?
it means the O of axis.

It means that at 3 seconds the displacement of the body is 0 m from the starting point. This doesn't help me find distance.

the particle first located the position which has displacement of 3m from O. and then moved back to O. how long did it traveled?

enricfemi said:
the particle first located the position which has displacement of 3m from O. and then moved back to O. how long did it traveled?

O, if you mean the distance not the displacement of the two events, then forget it!
i always misunderstand the high school title.

by using mathematica, i drew a picture of the displacement.

Attachments

• dd.bmp
    149.4 KB · Views: 633
you can know the rest point from question b), then multiple it by 2, and add the displacement of 3m. finally, you can get the answer.

1. What is particle displacement?

Particle displacement refers to the movement of particles in a medium, such as air or water, due to the propagation of a wave. It is a measure of the distance a particle moves from its original position as a wave passes through it.

2. What is integration in relation to particle displacement?

Integration in the context of particle displacement refers to the process of calculating the total displacement of a particle over a given time period. This involves taking into account the velocity and acceleration of the particle at different points in time.

3. How is particle displacement integration used in scientific research?

Particle displacement integration is used in a variety of scientific research studies, particularly in the fields of acoustics, seismology, and geophysics. It is used to analyze and interpret data from waves, such as sound waves or seismic waves, and can provide valuable insights into the properties of the medium through which the wave travels.

4. What are the limitations of particle displacement integration?

One of the main limitations of particle displacement integration is that it assumes a linear relationship between the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a particle. In reality, this may not always be the case, particularly in complex systems. Additionally, integration can be sensitive to errors in measurements and can be affected by external factors, such as damping or interference.

5. How can particle displacement integration be used to improve technology?

Particle displacement integration is essential in the development of many technologies that rely on wave propagation, such as ultrasound imaging, earthquake detection, and sonar systems. By understanding the behavior of waves and particles through integration, scientists and engineers can design and improve these technologies to be more accurate and efficient.