How can I get out of this mess?

• Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
In summary, the person applied for multiple intern jobs and has an interview for a 6 month placement today, but just found out it is an unpaid position. They are unsure if they should still do the interview or explain the situation. They also mention that they will fail an internship module if they refuse a job after being accepted. The person believes that companies offering unpaid internships should be more reasonable. Another person suggests that it is the person's responsibility to read the job description carefully and accept the two week suspension as a learning experience.
CrimpJiggler
I applied for plenty of intern jobs and I have an interview for a 6 month placement today but I just realized that it is UNPAID. I can't do a 6 month unpaid intern job, how would I survive? The interview is in 6 hours. I could obviously do a terrible interview but I doubt anyone else is applying for an unpaid job like this so there isn't exactly going to be any competition. Should I just explain the situation to them? That I didn't realize it was an unpaid placement until the last minute and wouldn't be able to survive without an income.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless they offer you the job then and there (which isn't really fair of them to do anyway as they should know you have applied to a bunch of places) then what's the harm in doing the interview, and just not accepting the job at a later date?

In my college, if you refuse a job after being accepted, you fail the internship module. There isn't any good way out of this mess, I contacted the coordinator of the module and they told me not to waste their time by showing up for the interview but I am now suspended from the module. I can still pass it though so its not too much of a problem. This is the second time I started one of these pointless threads asking for advice on a matter too urgent to wait for replies for. Maybe someone will find the thread educational if they happen to find themselves in a similar situation, otherwise mods feel free to delete the thread.

That sounds like a load of crap to me (as far as the coordinator is concerned). I don't see how you can force someone to accept an unpaid internship by threat of failure. Anyone higher up you can speak with? A department head or something?

I won't fail because of this, I just get suspended from the program for 2 weeks which means I can't apply for any jobs or get any interviews until then. I shouldn't have applied for the job in the first place but since it was a pharmaceutical company, I automatically assumed it would be a paid position and didn't bother to read the text more carefully. I don't know how they can expect someone to work for 6 months without pay. Its difficult enough for people to survive WITH minimum wage jobs, with no wage, it would be impossible.

EDIT: If I actually had done the interview (its a good thing I rechecked the job description and found out it was unpaid) and got the job, I would have failed by refusing to take the job though. The companies that offer unpaid internships should be a bit more reasonable. I would have gladly worked until my semester is over for no pay but I depend on the summer to make money for the following year of college and do other things that I don't have time for during college time.

Last edited:
Some people have enough money saved up, or have parents who are willing to support them during the internship.

CrimpJiggler said:
The companies that offer unpaid internships should be a bit more reasonable.

Unless somebody forced you to appliy for the unpaid positiion, what has anybody done that is unreasonable? It costs companies money to have interns disrupting the rest of their workforce, quite apart from the cost of paying them.

Welcome to the real world, where signing up to something without reading the small print is usually a bad move. If it us only going to "cost" you two weeks of hassle, just treat it as a learning experience and move on.

1. How did I get into this mess in the first place?

This is a common question when people find themselves in a difficult situation. It's important to reflect on the events that led to the situation, whether it was a mistake on your part or circumstances beyond your control. Understanding the root cause can help you avoid similar situations in the future.

2. Is there a quick fix to get out of this mess?

Many people hope for a simple solution to their problems, but unfortunately, quick fixes are often temporary and can even make the situation worse. It's important to take the time to carefully assess the situation and make a plan to address it in a sustainable way.

3. Can someone else help me get out of this mess?

It's natural to want help when facing a difficult situation, but ultimately, it's up to you to take responsibility and find a way out. However, it's okay to seek support from friends, family, or professionals who can offer guidance and assistance.

4. Will this mess have long-term consequences?

The impact of a difficult situation can vary, but it's important to consider the potential long-term consequences. This can help motivate you to take action and find a solution to minimize any negative effects.

5. How can I learn from this mess and prevent it from happening again?

Difficult situations can be valuable learning experiences. Take some time to reflect on what went wrong and what you can do differently in the future. This can help you avoid similar situations and grow as a person.