How can I improve my understanding of conceptual physics for E&M?

In summary, this E&M physics 2 test was conceptual, and most of the questions were uncomfortable for me. I think it would be best to study for these types of tests by reading the textbook and trying to visualize what is being taught, and solving calculation questions to get a better understanding of the material.
DrummingAtom
Just took my first E&M physics 2 test tonight, it was almost all conceptual. I feel like such a fool because it seemed basic yet most of the questions I felt uncomfortable with. My last physics class was more of the equation hunt type, working in symbols, see how things relate mathematically, etc. This class is much, much different and I have no no clue to study for concept type questions.

I have a couple different physics books and they all have about 5-10 conceptual type questions at the end of the chapter then about 70 actual calculation ones. How do I study for these types of tests? What are some resources that stress concepts and not equations? I feel like someone is going to recommend me a 8th grade physics book...

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrummingAtom said:
E&M physics 2

Calculus-based, with Gauss's law and surface integrals, etc.?

If you want to truly know physics you need to know both the math and the concepts well. Your teacher just probably wanted to test the concepts this time and will test the math part later. Best thing you can do is read the textbook and try to visual what you are reading, try to visualize a E field or how something becomes charged.

I think the best way to train understanding is to solve what you call "calculation questions" and try to understand them. I think that is even possible a-posteriori, i.e. after solving a problem via pattern matching ("there is only two equations with a T in my collection, so let's equate them and see if that gives an answer"; a completely valid approach to solving problem by the way) you can look at your calculation and try to understand why it works. Discussion with others helps a lot, too (and at research level physics actually becomes inevitable).

First of all, I want to acknowledge that understanding conceptual physics for E&M can be challenging, especially if you are used to a more equation-based approach. It's completely normal to feel uncomfortable with concept-based questions at first, but with practice and the right resources, you can improve your understanding.

Here are a few tips that can help you improve your conceptual understanding of E&M:

1. Start with the basics: Before diving into complex concepts, make sure you have a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of E&M. This includes understanding the concepts of electric charge, electric fields, and magnetic fields.

2. Visualize the concepts: E&M is a highly visual subject, so it's important to use diagrams and illustrations to help you understand the concepts. You can also use online simulations or videos to help you visualize the concepts in action.

3. Connect the concepts to real-life examples: It can be helpful to think about how E&M concepts apply to everyday situations. For example, you can think about how electric fields are used in household appliances or how magnetic fields are used in MRI machines.

4. Practice, practice, practice: As with any subject, practice is key to improving your understanding. Make sure to regularly review and practice concept-based questions, even if your class focuses more on calculations. This will help you become more comfortable with these types of questions and improve your understanding of the concepts.

5. Use additional resources: Besides your textbooks, there are many online resources available that focus on conceptual understanding of E&M. You can also look for practice questions or quizzes specifically designed for conceptual understanding.

Lastly, I want to assure you that there is no need to feel embarrassed or foolish for struggling with conceptual questions. E&M is a complex subject, and it takes time and effort to fully grasp the concepts. Keep practicing and seeking out additional resources, and I am confident that you will see improvement in your understanding. Best of luck on your journey to mastering E&M!

What is conceptual physics for E&M?

Conceptual physics for E&M is a branch of physics that focuses on understanding the fundamental concepts and principles of electricity and magnetism. It involves studying the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as their interactions with charged particles.

What are some real-life applications of E&M?

E&M has numerous real-life applications, including the functioning of electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and televisions. It also plays a crucial role in the generation and transmission of electricity, as well as in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines.

What are the key concepts in E&M?

The key concepts in E&M include electric charge, electric field, magnetic field, electric potential, and electromagnetic induction. These concepts help explain how electricity and magnetism work and how they are related to each other.

How is E&M related to other branches of physics?

E&M is closely related to other branches of physics, such as mechanics and thermodynamics. For example, the movement of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields can be explained using the principles of mechanics, and the behavior of electric conductors can be understood through the laws of thermodynamics.

Why is it important to study conceptual physics for E&M?

Studying conceptual physics for E&M is important because it helps us understand how electricity and magnetism govern many natural phenomena and technological advancements in our daily lives. It also provides a foundation for further studies in physics and other related fields.