How can I improve the functionality of my Zune radio transmitter?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DyslexicHobo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Radio Transmitter
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
DyslexicHobo
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
I purchased a radio transmitter for my Zune, and it takes quite a bit of work to get it to function properly.

I have not been taught much about how radio waves function or why my transmitter is behaving the way it is, so help me find a solution to my problem!

When my radio transmitter (something that's plugged into the audio output jack on my Zune, so I can tune in and listen on my radio) is plugged in, in order for it to work correctly I must hold the transmitter in my hand without touching my Zune. If I don't touch the transmitter, all I hear is static. If I touch the transmitter AND touch the Zune, all I hear is static.

Why does this happen, and is there any way to fix it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it sounds like it is using you as a ground or an antenna. Is the transmitter connected to the car's power supply? Is the transmitter located physically near the car's antenna? (line of sight helps too)
 
The transmitter is not connected to the power supply. Is there any way to ground the transmitter without me holding it? Would doing something like wrapping a copper wire and attaching it to my car's frame work?
 
I've tried different arrangements in my car to help it get better line of sight, but it doesn't really seem to make much difference. I HAVE to be touching it somewhere or else I hear mostly static. I was going to try and ground it to my car's frame with some copper wire... but I didn't think that'd work because I wouldn't be able to get very good contact with the transmitter.

Any ideas?