How can I insert a tif file into a Latex document?

In summary, to insert a figure into Latex, use the \begin{figure} command, followed by \includegraphics{image_name}. You can resize the figure using the \includegraphics[width=Xcm]{image_name} command and position it with \begin{figure}[h] and \centering. Multiple figures can be added in one environment using \subfloat{}, and the format can be changed with packages such as \usepackage{graphicx} and \usepackage{subcaption}.
julian
Gold Member
I am trying to insert the tif file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81787406/image.tif

into a Latex file with:

\usepackage{graphicx}\begin{figure}[ht!]
\centering
\includegraphics[width=50mm]{image.tif}
\end{figure}

but when I latex it I get the error: "Cannot determine size of graphic in image.tif (no Bounding Box)."

Can someone help with this as I now next to nothing about sort of thing. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Reading that link I see I need to convert to .eps format. It works now - thanks.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. How do I insert a figure into Latex?

To insert a figure into Latex, you first need to use the \begin{figure} command, followed by \includegraphics{image_name}, where "image_name" is the name of your image file. You can also use the \caption{} command to add a caption below the image. Finally, use the \label{} command to reference the figure in your document.

2. Can I resize the figure in Latex?

Yes, you can resize the figure in Latex by using the \includegraphics[width=Xcm]{image_name} command, where X is the desired width in centimeters. You can also use [height=Xcm] or [scale=X] to resize the figure accordingly.

3. How do I position the figure in my document?

To position the figure in your document, you can use the \begin{figure}[h] command, followed by \centering to center the figure. You can also use \includegraphics[width=Xcm]{image_name}\hfill to align the figure to the left or right of the page.

4. Can I add multiple figures in one figure environment?

Yes, you can add multiple figures in one figure environment by using the \subfloat{} command within the \begin{figure} environment. This allows you to place multiple figures side by side with individual captions and labels.

5. How do I change the format of my figures in Latex?

To change the format of your figures in Latex, you can use packages such as \usepackage{graphicx} and \usepackage{subcaption} to add different effects, such as rotating, cropping, or adding borders to your figures. You can also use the \includegraphics command to specify the file type of your image, such as .jpg, .png, or .pdf.