How Can I Integrate Arctan for Smectic A Liquid Crystal Undulations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of undulations for a smectic A liquid crystal in 1, 2, 3, and 4 dimensions. The general equation for d dimensions is given, and the focus is on the 2-dimensional case. The speaker has tried using substitutions and partial integration but is having trouble simplifying the equation. They are seeking help with calculating either of two integrals.
AllanGH
Hi!

I am trying to calculate undulations for a smectic A liquid crystal for 1,..,4 dimensions. The general equation for [itex]d[/itex] dimensions are

[itex]\langle u^2(\mathbf{x})\rangle = \frac{k_BT}{(2\pi)^dB} \int_\frac{1}{L}^{q_c}\frac{\text{d}q_\parallel \text{d}^dq_\perp}{q_\parallel+\lambda^2q_\perp^4}
[/itex]

my problem (so far) is for 2 dimensions:

approximately the problem reduces to

[itex]
\langle u^2(\mathbf{x})\rangle = \frac{k_BT}{(2\pi)^dB} \int_\frac{1}{L}^{q_c}\text{d}q_\perp\, \arctan\left(\frac{q_c}{\lambda q_\perp^2}\right)\frac{1}{\lambda q_\perp^2}
[/itex]

or, eventually, is there a more clever way to use the first equation? I have tried to use subs with the arctan function and partial integration.

With help from Abramowitz' Handbook of Mathical Function the second equation can be written as

[itex]
\langle u^2(\mathbf{x})\rangle =-\frac{\lambda}{q_c}\left(\frac{q_c}{\lambda}\right)^{3/2} \frac{k_BT}{(2\pi)^dB} \left[2\sqrt{q_\perp} \arctan{q_c} - 2\int\frac{\sqrt{q_\perp}\text{d}q_\perp}{1+ q_\perp^2}\right]
[/itex]

but I think I am moving in circles now.. so my problem is basically to calculate either

[itex]
\int\text{d}x\arctan(a/x^2)\frac{1}{x^2}
[/itex]

or

[itex]
\int\frac{\text{d}x \sqrt{x}}{1+x^2}
[/itex]

will be grateful for some help! :)

Al

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How Can I Integrate Arctan for Smectic A Liquid Crystal Undulations?

1. What is the formula for integrating arctan?

The formula for integrating arctan is ∫ arctan(x) dx = x * arctan(x) - 1/2 * ln(1+x^2) + C.

2. How do you solve an integral with arctan?

To solve an integral with arctan, you can use the formula ∫ arctan(x) dx = x * arctan(x) - 1/2 * ln(1+x^2) + C. You can also use integration by parts or substitution to solve more complex integrals with arctan.

3. Can arctan be integrated using u-substitution?

Yes, arctan can be integrated using u-substitution. To do so, you must first rewrite the arctan function in terms of u, and then find the derivative of u to use in the integration.

4. What is the derivative of arctan?

The derivative of arctan is 1 / (1 + x^2).

5. How is the integration of arctan useful in real life?

The integration of arctan is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the area under curves, the center of mass of an object, and the slope of a curve, among other applications.