How can I obtain and run windows 95 on my pc?

• Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Windows
In summary: VMware Fusion is a product from VMware, makers of the virtualization software. VMware has a free trial, so you can try it out before buying it. In summary, Windows 95 may be difficult to run on modern hardware, and running it would be a security risk. However, you can try a virtual machine.
Superposed_Cat
Hey all, I really love windows 95 and miss it alot. I'm wondering if there's a way to obtain it on an iso or something? Has anyone done this? Any adivce? Any help apreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Superposed_Cat said:
Hey all, I really love windows 95 and miss it alot. I'm wondering if there's a way to obtain it on an iso or something? Has anyone done this? Any adivce? Any help apreciated.
You might try this site:

https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-95

Note that it may have some difficulty running modern hardware and software.

Likes davenn
Windows 95 was a great platform, but, it's just not up to modern software and hardware. Win7 is only a little over a 100, and far more capable.

You can buy it on Amazon for $50 U.S. I had it running on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 running on XP. I've read it will also run on Windows 7 but never tried it. Don't know about Windows 8.

How about just running it on a virtual machine?

A virtual machine should work, but I don't know about the speed. One issue will be getting Windows 95 video and sound card drivers for your hardware, or for the virtual machine, although it may emulate devices that Windows 95 already includes drivers for. I have one old computer that I multi-boot Windows ME / Windows XP. If you have old hardware, you could multi-boot (using multiple partitions) by installing in order: MSDOS (with Windows 3.11 if you want), Windows XP, Windows 9X.

On a side note, I'm not sure about Windows Vista, but doing a multi-boot install of Windows 7/8 64 bit without it rearranging drive letters so Win 7 shows up on a renamed drive "C:", you need to start the install from an existing 64 bit operating system. In my case, I installed Windows 7 64 bit from Windows XP X64, ending up with a multi-boot Windows XP (32 bit), Windows XP X64 (64 bit), and Windows 7 64 bit (each on a different hard drive / partition). Although most video cards still include Windows XP drivers, some newer sound cards do not.

Last edited:
I just checked the latest version of VMware Fusion, which I have on my Mac, and it appears to support going all the way back to Windows 3.1.

1. Can I still obtain a copy of Windows 95?

Unfortunately, Windows 95 is no longer available for purchase from Microsoft. However, you may be able to find a copy through online marketplaces or auction sites.

2. What are the system requirements for running Windows 95?

The minimum system requirements for Windows 95 are a 386DX processor, 4MB of RAM, and 50-55MB of free hard disk space. However, it is recommended to have at least a 486 processor and 8MB of RAM for optimal performance.

3. Is it possible to run Windows 95 on a modern PC?

Yes, it is possible to run Windows 95 on a modern PC, but it may require some additional steps and compatibility tweaks. It is important to note that Windows 95 is not compatible with newer hardware and may not run smoothly.

4. Can I dual boot Windows 95 with my current operating system?

Yes, it is possible to dual boot Windows 95 with your current operating system, but it may not be a straightforward process. It is recommended to consult a professional or do thorough research before attempting to dual boot.

5. Are there any security risks with running Windows 95?

Yes, since Windows 95 is a very old operating system, it is no longer supported by Microsoft and does not receive security updates. This makes it vulnerable to cyber attacks and viruses. It is important to have proper antivirus software and use caution when browsing the internet.