How can I prove derivative of cross vectors

As far as this being available in standard math texts, I think it is probably only available in a text on tensor analysis, not a standard calculus text. I don't know, maybe it is in a table of integrals or something...In summary, the conversation is about a student who is trying to prove the product rule for two dependent vectors as a homework question. Another student provides helpful hints and explains the use of the Levi-Civita tensor and the summation convention in solving the problem. The conversation also discusses the use of the calculus definition of derivative to solve the problem.
esradw
Hello,

I am new here and I am very happy to find a webpage like this.
It has been 6 years sice I graduated from Physics and I haven't dealt with derivatives of vectors for a long time. Recently I have been accepted for the master degree and trying to built my memory again.

My homework quetion is that prove the product rule for two dependent vectors is

d/dt ( r X u ) = r X du/dt + dr/dt X u

I desperatly need help , I just can't remember. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You will want to start distributing.

Major Clue:

u [tex] (t) = < f_1(t),f_2(t),f_3(t)> [/tex]

v [tex](t) = < g_1(t),g_2(t),g_3(t)> [/tex]

This should be in any standard math text as a formal proof already done for you. Or available online.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, it was a little but powerfull hint for me that helped me solve the problem :)

Assuming the basis vectors are constant in time, then writing

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\epsilon_{ijk}r_{i}u_{j}\vec{e}_{k}\right) [/tex]

and expanding using the Leibniz rule will lead you to the result...

Daniel.

Daniel, this is way over I think both my and the origional posters heads, but I think for being a grad student, it would serve him well to know your method as well. I have never even heard about this notation for cross product before. Can you work it out and show us the anwser to it, (But try to keep it as simple as possible, so I can at least try to understand what's going on.) Thanks,

You could just go back to the calculus definition of derivative

[tex]\frac {df}{dt} = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac {f(t + \Delta t) - f(t)}{\Delta t}[/tex]

and apply it to the vector product.

Using the constant Levi-Civita (pseudo)tensor, one can write the vector/cross product the way i did in my previous post. Then applying the rules of differentiation and rewriting a term such

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\frac{du_{i}}{dt}v_{j}\vec{e}_{k} [/tex]

as [tex] \frac{d\vec{u}}{dt}\times\vec{v} [/tex]

will easily lead to the result.

Daniel.

Daniel's way is probably the shortest, but be careful, he's using the summation convention, which you may not have seen. Repeated indices are summed over.

I started a post last night that used the same idea as in Tide's post, but did not finish. Here are most of the details. The same trick that is used for proving the product rule in ordinary calculus can be used - adding zero.

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\frac{d}{dt} \left(\vec{r} \times \vec{u} \right) \left(t\right) &= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left[ \frac{\vec{r} \left( t + h \right) \times \vec{u} \left( t + h \right) - \vec{r} \left(t\right) \times \vec{u} \left(t\right)}{h} \right]\\
&= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left[ \frac{\vec{r} \left( t + h \right) \times \vec{u} \left( t + h \right) - \vec{r} \left( t + h \right) \times \vec{u} \left( t \right) + \vec{r} \left( t + h \right) \times \vec{u} \left( t \right) - \vec{r} \left(t\right) \times \vec{u} \left(t\right)}{h} \right]\\
&= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left[ \frac{\vec{r} \left( t + h \right) \times \vec{u} \left( t + h \right) - \vec{r} \left( t + h \right) \times \vec{u} \left( t \right)}{h} \right] + \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left[ \frac{\vec{r} \left( t + h \right) \times \vec{u} \left( t \right) - \vec{r} \left(t\right) \times \vec{u} \left(t\right)}{h} \right]\\
&= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left[ \frac{\vec{r} \left( t + h \right) \times \left\{ \vec{u} \left( t + h \right) - \vec{u} \left( t \right) \right\}}{h} \right] + \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left[ \frac{\vec{r} \left( t + h \right) - \vec{r} \left(t\right)}{h} \right] \times \vec{u} \left(t\right)\\
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I still have no clue about what daniel is talking about, :( (Im studying engineering, we don't go into that depth of math he's doing) I have not dealt with tensor math before. I have done linear algerba, but I doubt the two are the same.

dextercioby said:
Using the constant Levi-Civita (pseudo)tensor, one can write the vector/cross product the way i did in my previous post. Then applying the rules of differentiation and rewriting a term such
[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\frac{du_{i}}{dt}v_{j}\vec{e}_{k} [/tex]
as [tex] \frac{d\vec{u}}{dt}\times\vec{v} [/tex]
will easily lead to the result.
Daniel.

Just remember to alternate signs between even and odd permutations of indices.

oops...double post.

Tide said:
You could just go back to the calculus definition of derivative
[tex]\frac {df}{dt} = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac {f(t + \Delta t) - f(t)}{\Delta t}[/tex]
and apply it to the vector product.
This seems like the most straight forward, nuts and bolts method to me and I have a feeling this is the approach your professor expects you to take.

1. What is the definition of a cross product?

The cross product of two vectors, a and b, is a vector perpendicular to both a and b, with a magnitude equal to the product of the magnitudes of a and b multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

2. How is the cross product related to the derivative?

The derivative of a cross product can be understood as a way to measure the rate of change of the cross product with respect to a change in the original vectors. It allows us to calculate how much the cross product changes when we make small changes to the original vectors.

3. What is the formula for proving the derivative of cross vectors?

The formula for proving the derivative of cross vectors is: d(a x b)/dt = da/ dt x b + a x db/ dt, where a and b are the original vectors and t is the parameter with respect to which we are taking the derivative.

4. Can you provide an example of proving the derivative of cross vectors?

One example of proving the derivative of cross vectors is when we have two vectors, a = (2, 3) and b = (4, 1), and we want to find the derivative of a x b with respect to t. We would use the formula: d(a x b)/dt = da/ dt x b + a x db/ dt. By taking the derivatives of a and b, we get: da/ dt = (0, 0) and db/ dt = (0, 0). Plugging these values into the formula, we get: d(a x b)/dt = (0, 0) x (4, 1) + (2, 3) x (0, 0) = (0, 0) + (0, 0) = (0, 0). Therefore, the derivative of a x b with respect to t is (0, 0).

5. Why is it important to prove the derivative of cross vectors?

Proving the derivative of cross vectors is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between the original vectors and the resulting cross product. It also helps us to make predictions about how the cross product will change as the original vectors change. This is crucial in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and robotics.